Dec 10, 2023
The major combines a liberal arts background in literature with specialized writing courses in creative writing (fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, screenwriting), business writing, professional writing, scientific and technical writing, editing, and publishing.
Program Learner Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate their writing competence by successfully meeting the rhetorical needs of situations requiring the application of a variety of genres and styles.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a range of literary perspectives, genres, conventions, and forms.
- Apply knowledge of writing in a professional setting
- Use their knowledge of traditional grammar, writing craft, and rhetorical techniques to revise and edit their own writing.
- Develop a professional disposition for working collaboratively and providing effective feedback to other authors
- Understand and be able to articulate orally and in writing how literature is contextualized historically and culturally.
Required Courses Credits: 32
Approved Writing Electives Credits: 27
Select 27 credits from a combination of creative writing, professional writing, and practicum courses. At least 2 credits must be practicum credits and at least one 400-level creative writing or professional writing elective class is required.
Creative Writing Courses:
Professional Writing Courses:
Writing-Intensive Literature Course Credits: 5
Select one course from the following:
Literature, Linguistics, and Film Electives Credits: 10
Select 10 additional credits of literature, linguistics, and film studies courses at or above the 300-level. No more than 5 credits of film may be counted as elective credits in the professional and creative writing major. Courses used to meet the “Writing-Intensive Literature” electives section may be re-used in this section if the course is taken under a different topic.
College and Department Information
College of Arts and Humanities
Major plan codes: EPCW, EPCWP
Online option codes: EPCWO, EPCWOP
The program will have a designated online only option as well as an in-person or hybrid option.