Jun 19, 2024  
2024-2025 University Catalog 
2024-2025 University Catalog

Student Engagement and Success

The Office of the Vice President of Student Engagement and Success oversees the areas of Student Engagement and Success, Student Access and Equity, Health and Wellness, Admissions, Student Financial Services, Enrollment Marketing and Communication, as well as serves in an advising capacity to the Associated Students of Central Washington University. The Office of the Vice President of Student Engagement and Success provides support and coordination of a number of student and university-wide committees affecting the student experience. The Office of the Vice President of Student Engagement and Success provides students educationally purposeful programs, events, and services and activities that promote academic, personal, and professional growth within and beyond the classroom.

Associate Vice President for Equity and Belonging

ASCWU - Student Government
The Associated Students of Central Washington University (ASCWU) are the student government members elected by the CWU student body to represent all students equally and fairly and to ensure that their voices are heard. Executive responsibility is vested in the six-member ASCWU-Executive Board with the Vice President of Student Engagement and Success and designee serving as the primary advisor(s). As a vehicle from which students may share different views, the ASCWU Student Government is an integral part of the shared governance of CWU. The ASCWU Student Government recognizes and recommends student appointments to university committees and boards in order to serve and represent a variety of student needs and interest areas. 

Location: SURC 236
Phone: 509-963-1693
Email: ascwu@cwu.edu
Website: https://www.cwu.edu/student-life/student-government/

Career Services
Career Services offers career counseling and professional development opportunities to all current and transfer CWU students, alumni, faculty, and staff. The central purpose of Career Services is to empower students to pursue meaningful careers and lives. Services are offered both in-person and online.

  • UNIV 103: For those who are not certain which major, or career path is right for them, Career Services offers a two-credit course, called Career Exploration, on the Ellensburg campus. One-on-one counseling can achieve similar results over time if a student cannot take the class.
  • UNIV 301: This two-credit career management class helps students prepare for the transition from the classroom to the workplace. The focus of the course is on job search skills in pursuit of fulfilling employment.
  • Job Search Preparation: Career workshops are organized throughout the year to help students prepare for work or graduate school. To prepare for internship and career opportunities in the US and abroad, career counselors provide information on careers, developing strong resumes, CV’s and cover letters, practicing effective interviewing skills, learning successful internship and career job search strategies, including how to negotiate salary.
  • Career Counseling: Career counselors help students make major and career decisions through online assessments and determining skills, strengths, values, and interests. Counselors also assist students to apply for graduate school and post-bachelor studies. Counselors are available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday to meet students in person or via zoom. See our web page to book online or call our office for assistance.
  • Wildcat Career Network: The WCN database contains career information, job and internship opportunities, and enables students to sign up for on-campus interviews and career events. Students can access their account through their MyCWU account.
  • Cooperative Education/Internships: An internship is an opportunity to combine career, social, and personal growth with the educational process. The student works with their department faculty and Career Services to prepare for the process that leads to a successful, credit-bearing academic/work experience.
  • Career Fairs and Events: The department organizes events throughout the year as an opportunity to network with employers and learn professional career skills.

For further information:  https://www.cwu.edu/academics/academic-resources/career-services/ or email career@cwu.edu

Diversity and Equity Center (DEC)
Located in Black Hall 101, the Diversity and Equity Center (DEC) cultivates a sense of belonging and community on campus through programs and initiatives that encourage students to explore their identities, challenge barriers and empower themselves and their communities. The DEC hosts cultural programs, identity-based affinity programs, engagement opportunities for the campus community, student staff jobs and learning opportunities around social justice for our campus community. We offer a physical space for community gathering and meetings specifically for students with marginalized identities. Our students and the campus community are always welcome in the DEC; stop by and see how we can support you.

Office location: Black Hall 101
Phone: 509-963-2127
Website: https://www.cwu.edu/about/diversity/diversity-equity-center/index.php/

Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities
The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities supports CWU’s community by responding to concerns related to student behavior. An educational lens is used to develop intentional interventions in collaboration with community partners while purposely considering due process, individual students’ circumstances, and the CWU community at large. The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities works to reduce bias and discrimination throughout their processes and interventions while helping students become inclusive intentional members of a diverse society. The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities serves the entire university community and responds to reports of student concerns, including Concern and Support reports, for all CWU locations and students. 

Location: Bouillon 205
Phone: 509-963-1817
Email: Student.Conduct@cwu.edu
Website: https://www.cwu.edu/student-life/student-support/student-rights/

Student Leadership, Involvement, and Community Engagement
Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement (SLICE). actively serves the CWU community by developing opportunities that cultivate individual and collective engagement within leadership, civic engagement, campus engagement and campus club experiences. Our purpose is to encourage a sense of belonging, identity exploration, and promote positive social change within individual communities, the university and beyond.

We believe that ordinary people can make an extraordinary difference. Student Involvement is comprised of the functional areas including ASCWU-Student Government, Leadership, Involvement, Community Engagement, Student Clubs and Organizations and Campus Activities.

With endowments by David Wain Coon and Don and Verna Duncan, CWU students and our community with development programs. Through inclusive and intentional high-impact practices, students are provided opportunities to enhance and develop individual competencies to better understand self, others, citizenship and service.

The Inter Club Association (ICA), coupled with Leadership and Community Engagement, strives to create a holistic collegiate experience through co-curricular student club focused opportunities that foster passion exploration, leadership development and the cultivation of habits of lifelong learning. It is the goal of the ICA to provide avenues for personal, professional, intellectual, and social growth in an ever-expanding collaborative environment.

The department recognizes that every student has leadership capacity and will have ample opportunities to demonstrate leadership throughout their lifetime. Through various programs, workshops and resources, CWU students are equipped to make a positive impact within their communities. From short-term volunteering to intense capstone service programs, individuals are encouraged to use their disciple-specific knowledge in order to address community-based social, political and environmental economic justice issues.

Location: SURC 250
Phone: 509-963-1850
Email: slice@cwu.edu
Website: https://www.cwu.edu/student-life/slice/index.php

Veterans Center  
CWU’s Veterans Center opened in 2009 to support veterans, service members, and their family’s entering college. The center is dedicated to supporting student veterans, service members, and their families through their educational journey at CWU. We provide outreach to prospective students, assistance in navigating funding options, and programming that builds support and awareness for our community. Services include assisting with veteran education benefit applications, certifying enrollment, and locating additional resources. Find more information at https://www.cwu.edu/about/offices/veterans/, or call 509-963-3028, or email: va@cwu.edu.


General Information
Central Washington University (CWU) offers admission to qualified students as they apply. All applicants must submit a completed CWU application along with a non-refundable application processing fee or fee waiver. Please contact Admissions for more information on fee waivers.

CWU has a rolling admission policy which means that students may submit an application for any quarter at any time before that quarter starts. CWU sets the priority application date for fall quarter as March 1 for first-year and transfer students. This coincides with the Scholarship Central application. Applicants who apply for fall quarter will be notified of an admissions decision within one to two weeks after all application materials are received. Applications received after March 1 will be processed on a space-available basis. For the most current information and admissions deadlines for other academic quarters, please visit https://www.cwu.edu/admissions-aid/index.php.

For initial admission, applicants must meet minimum standards as established by the Washington Student Achievement Council. The Academic Affairs Committee may recommend more stringent standards as well as standards for automatic admission. Standards for initial admission will be established by the Academic Affairs Committee of the Faculty Senate in consultation with the Vice President of Student Engagement and Success. Adherence to established standards of admission will be monitored by the Academic Affairs Committee.

First-Year Applicants
First-year applicants are students who will graduate from high school and enroll the summer or fall immediately following high school graduation, regardless of number of college credits earned while in high school through Running Start, College in the High School, Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), etc. or

Those who have earned fewer than 40 quarter hour college credits from an accredited two-or four-year college or university after high school graduation.

CWU offers guaranteed admission for students with 3.0 or higher high school cumulative GPA and completion of College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs). See below for more information on CADRs. For those who do not meet this criteria, CWU offers a comprehensive review process that takes into consideration: high school GPA, a personal statement, high school grade trends, and course rigor. At least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA) in all high school and any applicable college work is required. Note: ACT/SAT scores are not required.

  • Applicants with a 3.00 cumulative GPA or higher who have satisfied the State of Washington CADR requirements will be admitted. A personal statement is not required.
  • Applicants with a 2.99-2.50 cumulative GPA who have satisfied the CADRs will be evaluated through the comprehensive review process that considers factors such as a personal statement, grade trends, and the rigor of the courses completed. A personal statement may be required.
  • Applicants with a 2.49-2.00 will be evaluated through the comprehensive review process that considers factors such as a personal statement, grade trends, and the rigor of the courses completed. A personal statement is required. First-year applicants deficient in any of the CADR areas up to, but not exceeding 3 Distribution Requirements, may be considered through the alternate admissions standards (CWUP 5-90-020(6)). Students considered for admission through the alternate admissions standards will be subject to the comprehensive review process and may be required to submit a personal statement.

Students denied admission may submit an appeal. Appeals are reviewed as per CWUR 2-90-020(8) Admissions Appeals.

Official application materials must be received by the Office of Admission, including all high school and college transcripts.

College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs)
CADR refers to college admission criteria. Each school district determines which of its courses meet CADR guidelines. Students are encouraged to take additional courses above and beyond the minimum CADRs.

  • English: 4 credits, including 3 credits of literature and composition.
  • Math: 3 credits plus 1 credit of a senior year math-based quantitative course. Acceptable courses include algebra I, algebra II, geometry, pre-calculus and above, math analysis, statistics, applied math, appropriate career and technical courses, or an algebra-based science course such as chemistry or physics. If you take and pass pre-calculus or math analysis of calculus prior to your senior year, you’re exempt from this requirement.
  • Social Science: 3 credits. Acceptable courses include world history, US history, anthropology, contemporary world problems, economics, geography, government, political science, psychology, sociology.
  • Lab Science: 3 credits (two credits must be earned in lab courses including one credit in an algebra-based lab science and one course in biology, physics or chemistry).
  • World Language: 2 credits of the same world language, Native American language or American Sign Language.
  • Arts: 1 credit. Acceptable courses include classes in fine, visual, or performing arts or 1 credit beyond the minimum in any other required CADR areas.

College Credit Earned While in High School
Regardless of the number of college credits completed, or if an associate degree is earned, students earning college credit while in high school, including coursework taken during summer after graduation, will be considered first-year for admissions purposes. Running Start students and others with college credit are eligible for all freshmen scholarships and must live on campus for their first year. CWU accepts most college credit earned while in high school, including programs such as:

  • Advanced Placement (AP)
  • College in the High School
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • CWU Cornerstone
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Running Start

Home-school Applicants
A home-schooled student is any applicant who will complete their high school coursework at home and will not receive a diploma from an accredited high school. An applicant is qualified for first-year admission if they:

  • Present evidence of their completion of the academic CADR courses by submitting an official home-school transcript. Transcripts must be signed by a parent or guardian in order to be official.
  • Provide the GED as proof of high school completion. A GED is not required but may be submitted for eligibility for Federal Financial Aid and to participate in varsity athletics.
  • Submit any official college transcripts (if applicable). Regardless of the number of college credits completed, students earning college credit in high school will be considered first-year for admissions purposes as long as they do not take coursework after graduation from high school (excluding summer).

All home-schooled students will be reviewed by the Admissions Review Process on an individual basis.

Transfer Applicants
Applicants who have completed a transferable associate degree from an accredited post-secondary institution with a cumulative transfer GPA of at least 2.0, will be admitted as space allows.

Applicants without a transferable associate degree, but with at least 40 quarter (27 semester) transferable credits at time of application, from an accredited post-secondary institution may be admitted as space allows provided they have at least a 2.50 cumulative GPA in transferable courses. Applicants whose cumulative transfer GPA is lower than 2.50 will be evaluated through the comprehensive review process (see CWUP 5-90-020(7)). A personal statement may be required.

Applicants with fewer than 40 quarter (27 semester) transferable credits at time of application will be considered for admission if they also meet the first-year requirements. (See CWUP 5-90-020(2)(B))

Students with a cumulative transfer GPA below a 2.00 may be admitted through the comprehensive review process (see CWUP 5-90-020(7)). For students with a cumulative transfer GPA of less than 2.00, college-level credits earned below a 2.00 may be disregarded for admissions purposes only, provided the work was completed at least four years before the time of enrollment at CWU. Application of this policy is contingent upon evidence of extenuating circumstances and/or future academic success.

Applicants Without High School Diplomas (including alternatively graduated applicants).

Applicants who have not earned a high school diploma may be offered admission to the university under the alternative admissions process outlined below.

Alternative Admissions
Applicants who do not meet admission criteria may be considered for admission by the admissions review committee through an alternative admissions pathway. Such applicants include, but are not limited to, applicants who have been home-schooled, persons who are 18 or older and have neither completed high school nor 40 credits of college work elsewhere but have earned the GED, applicants deemed deficient in high school course requirements, and applicants who are 25 or older who have poor academic histories and who have not attended school recently. Applicants considered through the alternative admissions pathway will be subject to the comprehensive review process and are required to submit a personal statement. Applicants without an associate degree must satisfy the foreign language admission requirement prior to completing a total of 135 credits.

International Students
Central welcomes qualified students from other countries. Students demonstrating the greatest potential for success at the university level may be admitted after a thorough review and evaluation of their entire academic background. Because educational systems vary widely around the world, there is no single, uniform admission requirement for international students. International students must meet the following minimum requirements for admission purposes:

1. Evidence of completion of the academic course work and national examinations that would qualify them to apply to colleges and universities in their native country.

2. If English is not the first language, competency in English demonstrated in one of the following ways:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum score of 525 paper-based, 195 computer-based, and 71 internet-based.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum score of 6.0.
  • Duolingo English Test minimum score of 100
  • Completing two English department approved composition courses each with minimum grade of 2.0, “C” or equivalent rating from a regionally accredited U.S. college, university, or an approved university partner.

3. If English is the first language, the foreign language requirement for the Bachelor of Arts degree can be fulfilled by completing the basic skills foreign language requirement, passing the CLEP®, passing a foreign language course challenge exam, or obtaining approval from the chair of World Languages.

4. Applicants transferring from U.S. institutions must have a minimum grade point average in transferable courses as established by the Academic Affairs Committee or DTA associate degree from an accredited Washington State community college (or approved out-of-state transferrable associate degree).

5. Adequate financial support for the student’s intended studies. Financial support will be judged based on applicant’s confidential financial statement and a current bank letter or guaranteed source of funding.

6. If all of the above conditions are met, the student is recommended for admission by the international admissions counselors, and the Office of International Studies and Programs may issue the INS certificate of eligibility for F-1 status (Form 1-20).

Exceptions to the above admissions requirements must be approved by the admissions review committee in consultation with the Director of International Studies and Programs.

Students who originate from one of the following countries are considered to have met English Proficiency Standards: Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and English-speaking provinces of Canada. These students are exempt from furnishing proof of English proficiency documents.

International Transfer students who are transferring from U.S. institutions must have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 in transferable college level courses and meet the academic requirements for college entrance in their native country. Though not required for admission purposes, adequate financial support, verified by the Confidential Financial Statement form and a current bank letter or scholarship award, is required of all international applicants.

All supporting documents should be sent a minimum of 90 days in advance of the quarter for which the applicant seeks admission.

Students who submit international college or university transcripts must have an official course-by-course translation. Evaluation may be done by university personnel or one of the following foreign credential evaluation companies: Foundation for International Services (FIS) Inc. at https://www.fis-web.com/ or World Education Services (WES) at https://www.wes.org/.

Re-admission of Former Students
Students who interrupt their CWU studies for more than one quarter (excluding summer) must re-apply for admission to the university and pay the application fee. If the student has attended any institution during their absence from CWU, the student must send official transcripts of all post-CWU coursework to the Office of Admissions at the time they re-apply. Eligibility for re-admission will be based on prior academic performance at the university and any courses completed since last attending CWU. If a student left on academic or disciplinary suspension, they should contact the dean of student success for reapplication instructions at least 30 days prior to the start of the quarter for which the student is applying.

Confirmation of Admission
Students who are offered admission to the university must confirm their intention to enroll by utilizing the “confirm your admission” button sent to them via email. This will begin the advising, registration and orientation process. The university may withdraw an offer of admission for fall quarter if confirmation is not complete by May 1. Students who have not confirmed may be denied admission after that time if enrollment limits have been reached. Students who choose not to accept offers of admission should notify the Office of Admissions by emailing admissions@cwu.edu. An offer of admission is only valid for the academic quarter indicated in the acceptance letter. A student who chooses not to accept an offer of admission may re-apply for a subsequent quarter.

Revocation of Offer of Admission
Offers of admission may be revoked by the Office of Admissions if a student’s academic work between the time of application and the quarter for which the student has applied results in the student not meeting the admissions criteria or other university standards.

Non-matriculated Student Application
Students who are not seeking degrees or certificates may be allowed to enroll in courses as non-matriculated students. These students do not need to go through the regular admissions process but should apply through the Office of the Registrar by completing the non-matriculated application form. Non-matriculated students register during open enrollment a space-available basis. Credits earned as a non-matriculated student may not be used to satisfy degree or certificate requirements unless the student applies and is accepted as a matriculated student, in which case a maximum of 45 credits may be applied. Exceptions may be made for non-matriculated students in collaborative certificate programs.

Students who have previously attended CWU as matriculated students and have not obtained a degree, or students who have applied and been rejected for undergraduate matriculated status will not be allowed to enroll as non-matriculated students. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for most financial aid, veteran’s benefits, or other services regularly provided for matriculated students.

High School Enrichment Program
Students who have not yet graduated from high school may be allowed to enroll as non-matriculated students. High School Enrichment Program applicants must submit official copies of their high school transcript and complete the high school enrichment application available from the Office of the Registrar. High school enrichment applications must be approved by the student’s high school principal and the CWU Registrar; regular tuition and fees apply for students attending under this program. For further information, please call 509-963-3001 or e-mail reg@cwu.edu.

Orientation and Transition Programs

Orientation and Transition Programs, At Central Washington University, we place special emphasis on each student’s transition to the CWU campus. Through research and our own experience, we know that the foundations built through these intentional experiences are key to a student’s success. Once you are admitted to CWU, Orientation will pick up where the Admissions Office leaves off for both first year and transfer students. Making the commitment to spend your college career at CWU is a major decision. With this in mind, it only makes sense that the CWU community welcomes you and your support networks by providing a comprehensive set of orientation experiences as you move through this transition. An Orientation fee will be charged to all first-year and transfer students during the first Fall quarter on campus.

Location: Bouillon 205 Phone: 509-963-1713
Visit us online at https://www.cwu.edu/admissions-aid/orientation/index.php

Wildcat Preview Days is an optional event for prospective and admitted students and their support networks. You will be introduced to academic majors and campus resources, learn about clubs and organizations, and explore campus!

Inica Tu Futuro is a Spanish language track offered at each Wildcat Preview Day for Spanish speaking students and support networks. Representatives from campus departments showcase all that CWU has to offer.

Orientation whether you attend a New Student Orientation or Transfer Student Orientation, navigating your way as an incoming student just got easier and more fun! New Student Orientation provides valuable information, tools, and Wildcat spirit as you begin your path to success at CWU. New Student Orientation is your first step in the onboarding and orientation process as a first year Wildcat. Transfer Student Orientation will focus on your personal transition to CWU and the greater Ellensburg community in partnership with the Transfer Student Center. Support Networks are encouraged to attend.

Todos Somos Familia is a Spanish language orientation during each Admitted Student Days for Spanish speaking support networks. Support networks will receive valuable information about what to expect at CWU.

Week of Welcome is the second REQUIRED Orientation and Onboarding program for first-year students and transfer students that will help you feel at home at Central. You will continue to build connections with other students, become familiar with campus, gain wellness strategies, and learn about CWU procedures, expectations, and how to contribute to the community. We want to help prepare you for a successful academic experience. In addition to many fun activities, we have planned several valuable educational sessions and workshops. Participation is required for all newly admitted Ellensburg undergraduate students.

University 101: Transition to CWU is brought to you by CWU’s Undergraduate Studies and Learning Commons areas. UNIV 101 is designed to foster a successful transition to CWU. This course will promote a sense of belonging and discovery, stimulate engagement in curricular and co-curricular activities, and connect students to campus resources. Out-of-class student participation in Week of Welcome and throughout the term is required to receive full credit towards your overall grade. Students with fewer than 45 credits are required to take UNIV 101 during their first quarter on campus.

Virtual Orientation is offered for all incoming students for Winter and Spring quarters. This orientation is specifically for incoming first year, transfer students attending Main Campus, CWU Sites and Centers and our online student population. During this engagement opportunity students will learn about CWU departments and campus resources. Sessions are offered via Zoom, twice quarterly.

*Virtual Orientation is NOT intended for Fall Quarter admits nor is allowed as a substitution for New Student Orientation or Week of Welcome programs.*

Transfer Center

The Transfer Center helps transfer students at all CWU locations make a seamless transition from their previous institution to Central. The Transfer Center provides:

  • personalized advice for pre-transfer planning;
  • information about the general education program at CWU and which associate’s degrees satisfy which components of it;
  • information about transfer course equivalences.
  • referrals to academic departments and other campus resources.
  • peer mentoring from successful transfer students
  • programs and events intended to help new transfer students transition to a new university.
  • a comfortable lounge where students can connect with other transfer students’
  • amenities such as computers, printers, a fridge and microwave; and
  • fun events

For more information about transfer student services, call 509-963-1390, email transfer@cwu.edu, or visit us in person at Bouillon 210 or online at https://www.cwu.edu/about/offices/transfer-center/

SES Federal Grant Programs

TRIO Educational Opportunity Center (EOC)
Deciding where to go to college, figuring out how to pay for it, and completing all the necessary forms is complicated. The Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) is set up to help students gather the necessary information to make good decisions about their future educational plans and think clearly through the available options. EOC, a federally funded program is available, principally, to help 1,000 low-income adults who are the first in their family to attend college, work through the admission process. For further information, call 509-574-6895 or e-mail eoc_program@cwu.edu.

TRIO Student Support Services (SSS)
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded TRIO program under the U.S. Department of Education. SSS provides academic support, to assists students with basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students toward the successful completion of their post-secondary education. Students who are first generation, low income, or who have a disability are eligible for the program on a space-available basis. The program may also provide grant aid to current, active, SSS participants who are receiving Federal Pell Grants and are of first-year or sophomore status. The goal of SSS is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants and facilitate the process of transition from one level of higher education to the next. SSS is funded 80 percent by a federal grant from the U.S. Department of Education and 20 percent by CWU.

Passport to Careers (PTC)
The Passport to Careers (PTC) program is housed within the Academic Achievement Programs at CWU. PTC is a Washington state publicly funded scholarship and support program for students from foster care and those who have experienced unaccompanied homelessness. Through enhanced financial aid and tailored support services, PTC helps Passport scholars enroll, persist, and complete their post-secondary programs or apprenticeships. PTC at CWU represents a partnership between the university and the College Success Foundation. Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office. For more information, contact Financial Aid, or visit the following:

Washington Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Program

Passport to College Promise Scholarship

State Contact
Dawn Cypriano-McAferty
Program Manager, Washington Student Achievement Council

CWU Campus: (509) 963-2026
Toll-Free: (888) 535-0747

College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP)
The College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP) provides financial and academic support services to first-year students from migrant and seasonal farm-working backgrounds. The CAMP program, funded 100% by a grant from the US Department of Education, Office of Migrant Education, is designed to help students succeed as they begin their college careers and through their first-year year. CAMP students receive a variety of services including scholarships, stipends, tutoring, skills for academic success, training, mentoring, career planning services, and cultural enrichment opportunities. 

To qualify for the CAMP program, the student must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen
  • Have first-year standing (fewer than 44 quarter credits)
  • Meet criteria to determine migrant or seasonal farm-worker status:
  • Parent (or student, if independent) has worked for at least 75 days in the last 24 months in farm-work such as production of crops, dairy products, poultry, livestock, tree harvesting, or fish farming. Farm-work must be primary form of employment and be performed on a temporary or seasonal basis
  • OR student has participated in the Chapter 1 Migrant Education Program
  • OR student or parent qualifies for the WIA167 program

High School Equivalency Program (HEP)

HEP is a federal program, funded by the U.S Department of Education and administered by the Office of Migrant Education (OME). HEP provides High School Equivalency (HSE) instruction and placement services to migrant and seasonal farmworkers (MSFW) and their families. The program was awarded a five-year grant cycle in 2021 and will conclude on June 30, 2026. HEP receives $475,000 per year to provide GED services to 80 students.

To qualify for the HEP program, the student must meet the following requirements:

  • Have worked at least 75 days in agriculture within the last 24 months;
  • Or student has participated in the Chapter 1 Migrant Education Program withing the last 24 months;
  • OR student or parent qualifies for the WIA167 program, also within the last 24 months; and
  • Pass HEP assessment before enrollment

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial Aid
Each year approximately 80 percent of CWU students receives financial aid. To be eligible for federal aid a student must be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen. The Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is Washington resident students’ application for state aid. Washington state aid programs are available to eligible DREAMers (undocumented students) who complete the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA).

Financial aid is available to matriculated students seeking a degree or certification in an eligible program. Most financial aid programs require a minimum of half-time enrollment, which is 6 credits at the undergraduate or post-baccalaureate level and 5 credits at the graduate level. Students who have a first baccalaureate degree and are not admitted to a master’s program are classified as a post-baccalaureate student. Post-baccalaureate students are eligible for federal loans.

Students must be accepted for admission into a degree seeking program (matriculated) to receive financial aid. Students and their families must also complete a FAFSA or WASFA to receive federal and/or state aid. The FAFSA should be completed online at www.studentaid.gov and the WASFA should be completed online at https://wsac.wa.gov/wasfa.

The application should be submitted as soon as possible after it opens each year. This year, March 1 is the priority submission date for limited gift aid. Completing the FAFSA/WASFA accurately responding quickly to requests for additional information are critical. If you are selected for Verification, be sure to submit all required documents in MyCWU by May 1 to ensure your Financial Aid will be ready by September.

Students who included Central Washington University’ on a submitted FAFSA or WASFA will have a student financial aid file delivered to the university electronically. Once FAFSA or WASFA data completes CWU’s quality assurance process, we send the student an aid offer or request for additional documents.

The aid offer includes the estimated annual cost of attendance, the federally determined Student Aid Index (SAI) if applicable, and an offer of aid grouped by type and amount. You must accept, reduce, or decline aid offers on MyCWU; aid is disbursed quarterly in equal amounts. If you have chosen to borrow student loans, you must complete the master promissory note and loan entrance counseling electronically at https://studentaid.gov/.

Students are expected to maintain “good academic standing” while receiving financial aid. A minimum CWU cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for undergraduates and post baccalaureates; a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for graduate students. Financial aid recipients are also required to make reasonable progress toward a degree.

Additional financial aid information is available at https://www.cwu.edu/admissions-aid/financial-aid-scholarships/, financialaid@cwu.edu, or by calling 509-963-1611.


Scholarships are gift aid which do not have to be repaid and may change a student’s eligibility for institutional, state, or federal aid programs. More information on CWU scholarships is available at https://www.cwu.edu/admissions-aid/financial-aid-scholarships/scholarships/. The Scholarship Central application opens in October and closes March 1st. Scholarships awarded are generally applicable to charges for the following academic year. Apply online via MyCWU using the path MyCWU>Student Dashboard>Financial>Scholarship Application. 

Scholarship eligibility is based on a variety of criteria, including academic proficiency, specialized talent, community service, leadership, and financial need. Scholarship recipients may be selected by college and departmental selection committees or Financial Aid Office staff. Some scholarships require students to complete the FAFSA or WASFA. Students with talent in athletics, art, music, and/or theatre should contact the department(s) directly for specific audition or exhibition opportunities.

Community-sponsored scholarships are awards for which recipients are chosen by organizations outside the university. Each organization establishes its own eligibility criteria, application process, and committee. More information can be found at the scholarship website https://www.cwu.edu/admissions-aid/financial-aid-scholarships/financial-aid/scholarships.php or by contacting the organizations directly. The Washington Student Achievement Council has a simple and free central scholarship search and application resource for Washington resident students; visit https://washboard.wsac.wa.gov/login.aspx to create a profile. Scholarship recipients must inform the CWU Financial Aid Office about awards from community organizations. Checks should be sent to the CWU Cashiers Office, 400 East University Way, Ellensburg, WA 98926-7490. Please include student’s name and ID number and make payable to “Central Washington University.” 

Health and Wellness Unit

CWU’s Health and Wellness Unit is a collaborative integrated wellness model providing direct services to students, which creates a culture that values health and wellness as a key component of success for students while attending CWU and in their future lives. The Executive Director of Health and Wellness is located in Bouillon Hall 204.

Office of Case Management
The Office of Case Management provides crisis assistance to students in distress and coordinates follow-up care for students with a variety of academic and wellness-based needs. Case Managers address student concerns by assessing the individual circumstances of students and making appropriate referrals to need-specific resources and services. The Office of Case Management collaborates with relevant CWU departments and community services to balance the needs of individuals with the welfare of the entire community and provides intervention during campus crises to minimize harmful impacts of an incident on CWU students. All CWU students, regardless of location, are eligible to receive Case Management services and Case Managers are available for consultation with CWU community members regarding concerns for student health and safety. The Office of Case Management is located in Bouillon 203 and can be reached by phone at 509-963-1515.  Timely student referrals are best made by submitting a Concern and Support form or Suicide Concern Report, as warranted.

University Recreation

University Recreation is committed to offering inclusive opportunities that promote a lifelong commitment to health and wellbeing. Our nationally recognized facilities, programs, and services contribute to the holistic wellness of our patrons while providing co-curricular and extracurricular activities that complement other avenues of learning. Through excellent customer service and care for the individual, University Recreation builds a community of engaged Wildcats with a passion for life in motion. Programs include: intramural sports, collegiate sport clubs, personal training, group fitness, outdoor pursuits and rentals, climbing wall, eSports, drop-in recreation, youth sports and camps, and special events including films, lectures, and certification courses.

  • The Recreation facilities include the Recreation Center, Lister Tennis Courts, Alder Recreation Complex, and the Recreation Sports Complex. The Recreation Center offers strength training and cardio equipment, fitness studios, a 1/8 mile indoor jogging track overlooking 4 multi-purpose courts, and administrative offices for the department. The Recreation Sports Complex has a ¼ mile IAAF competition track and a lighted synthetic turf field. Hours of operation can be found at Central Washington University | Recreation Facilities.
  • Intramural Sports, also known as IM Sports, offers a variety of leagues and tournaments per quarter. Intramural sports are competitions and events played between teams from within our own university, as opposed to outside schools coming in to play. Sports range from traditional offerings such as basketball, flag football, softball, and soccer to the non-traditional such as dodgeball, archery tag, and esports. Leagues are offered at different levels of competition based on skill level and time commitment.  Students, faculty, staff, and alumni with Recreation memberships are eligible to participate in intramural sports. For more details on how competition levels work or how to get involved, go to Central Washington University | IM Sports.
  •  The Collegiate Sport Clubs Program at CWU is tailored to offer participants unique opportunities to compete at the collegiate level in specialized sports, with the intention to foster individualized growth and create a sense of community for Sport Club athletes. Sport Clubs bring together CWU students who share a passion for niche sporting activities, allowing them the opportunity to compete and pursue an education simultaneously. Each club is organized and run by its student leadership team, placing a strong emphasis on the importance of leadership, interest, and active participation for a thriving sports community. Sport Clubs are designed to promote student activity and create an environment where students with similar interests can make connections that extend beyond their time spent at CWU. Through participation in the Sport Clubs Programs, students gain valuable experience in their chosen sports and develop essential leadership qualities such as club administration, financial management, and event planning. The skills honed through participating in Sport Clubs at CWU empower athletes to succeed in their pursuits long after their time spent within the university. To see a list of Sport Clubs offered at CWU, please visit Central Washington University | Sport Clubs.
  • Personal training packages are available to all recreation center members. For a nominal charge, a personal trainer will develop a workout plan specifically designed to meet an individual’s fitness goals. For more details, go to Central Washington University | Personal Training.
  • Group fitness classes are included to all recreation center members as a part of their membership. From cycling to Barre, dancing to yoga, there’s something for everyone. For a list of current Group X classes, go to https://www.cwu.edu/student-life/recreation/programs/group-x.php.
  • Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals provides memorable outdoor adventures via guided trips, outdoor programs, and equipment rentals to support students in their outdoor recreation adventures, and their educational needs. OPR student employees go through extensive professional level trainings to offer quality outdoor experiences as well as training to respond to various emergencies related to first aid, CPR, Swiftwater, avalanche rescue, winter mountainous travel, non-winter mountainous travel, rock climbing and mountain biking. For more information, go to Central Washington University | OPR.
  • The 50-foot climbing wall in the Recreation Center offers bouldering and roped climbing, certification courses in top-rope belay and lead climbing, as well as climbing competitions, youth programs, private events, and much more. For current programs, please refer to Central Washington University | Climbing Wall.

Student Health Services

Student Health Services (SHS) are offered at the Student Medical building (southeast corner of the campus). The clinic hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday when classes are in session. Summer hours vary and will be posted during summer quarter. When the clinic is closed, students can access free medical and counseling appointments via telehealth visits through TimelyCare. Emergency medical services are available at Kittitas Valley Healthcare. The cost of hospital care is at the student’s expense. During regular business hours, medical appointments are available by phone (509-963-1881), Monday through Friday. You must log onto the student portal and complete the required forms before your first medical appointment. The Clinic bills insurance for all appointments except Express STI Clinic visits. If you do not have insurance, staff at SHS can help you sign up for free or low cost healthcare. All balances except non-covered services after insurance are taken care of by your Health, Counseling and Telehealth Fee. There may be charges for any ancillary services provided (e.g., labs, x-rays, etc.). For more information, visit Central Washington University | Student Health Services.

Our medical providers provide routine and urgent-care services, including care for chronic medical conditions, as well as acute illnesses, injuries, and infections (e.g., colds, flu, and sexually transmitted infections). SHS offers primary care services including care of chronic illness, routine physical examinations, sports physicals, immunizations, reproductive health services (e.g., pap smears, pregnancy testing, long term contraceptives and reproductive counseling), and diagnostic laboratory tests/X-rays. We also provide Psychiatric ARNP services as well as Dietitian and Nutrition services. In keeping with the educational mission of the university, emphasis is placed on education regarding wellness, prevention and treatment of illnesses.

A Tele-healthcare option, available 24/7, has been implemented to increase access to healthcare and mental health needs that students may require when the clinic is typically closed. TimelyCare, a virtual platform with an actual provider on the other end, puts medical, mental health, and wellness at your fingertips to support you when you need it 24/7, 365 days a year.

Student Counseling Services

Matriculated students who pay the health, counseling, and telehealth fee are eligible for services. All counseling services are provided free of additional charge. Counseling Services are available Monday through Friday, 8am to 12pm and 1pm to 4:30pm when classes are in session; during the summer quarter, hours are 8am - 12pm and 1pm - 3pm. After hours and during weekends, students are directed to use the TimelyCare TalkNow services to access a counselor or to the local crisis line (509-925-4168) for professional support and access to local crisis intervention when needed. TimelyCare is accessed by downloading the TimelyCare App or visiting the TimelyCare website and logging on with CWU credentials.

Student Counseling Services (509-963-1391) operates on the basis of a brief treatment model. After an individualized consultation, a collaborative treatment plan is created with each student. Individual counseling is only one of several outcomes that can result from an individualized consultation. Counseling Services include urgent mental health care, individual, relationship, group counseling, support groups, and educational workshops. Common student issues include transitional/adjustment concerns, relationship difficulties, disordered eating and body image concerns, stress, trauma, anxiety, and/or depression, among others. Group counseling opportunities routinely include coping with anxiety, therapeutic lifestyle change for depression, personal growth, and relationship difficulties. Special programs for campus groups are available upon request (e.g. education and outreach). Counseling services are private and confidential within the limits of the law. Student Counseling Services is committed to providing services that are culturally affirming and responsive for all students, particularly those from systematically marginalized identities and communities.

Services modalities include both in-person and teletherapy options, particularly for students attending Center campuses or who are Distance Education students. Eligible students who reside outside of Washington State can receive on-going counseling services through TimelyCare. Visit the TimelyCare website for more information.  

Additional information about Student Counseling Services, including additional crisis resources, can be found on our website https://www.cwu.edu/student-life/health-wellness-services/counseling-services/index.php.

Office of Health Promotion (formerly Wellness Center)

Located in SURC 256, the Office of Health Promotion supports campus well-being and encourages collective actions that promote the health of individuals and environments. The office offers programs and educational trainings and hosts campus events on violence prevention; alcohol or other drug risk reduction; and positive mental health. Staff in the office partner with the campus community to improve holistic well-being. We employ students, advise clubs and organizations and partner with faculty in classroom instruction and service-learning opportunities. We also offer the Wellness Lounge, a physical space for CWU students to engage in mindfulness and other health promoting activities or general relaxation.

The University has a comprehensive alcohol education and prevention program. Parental notification is one part of CWU’s comprehensive sanctioning procedure for underage alcohol and marijuana use. CWU supports all local, state and federal laws pertaining to controlled substances and as such, cannabis is not allowed on any CWU premise.

PATH Advocacy

Prevention, Advocacy, Training and Healing (PATH) is available to CWU students impacted by sexual violence or other forms of interpersonal violence. PATH is located in the Office of Health Promotion at SURC 256. Services include confidential consultation, referral, advocacy, information and crisis response for victims, survivors, and/or significant others. Those experiencing an emergency are still encouraged to contact 9-1-1.