Students may apply to the major during fall, winter, or spring term. Students planning to enter this major will experience a comprehensive dance education with opportunities for cultural enrichment, choreography, performance and teaching in a variety of genres. Students can pair this major with a variety of minors to enhance their marketability. The following additional requirements also apply.
- A number of classes in the major are offered on a rotating basis every other year. Consequently, students must work with their advisor in planning their schedule of course work in order to progress to completion of the major in 4 years.
- All students applying to the major must successfully complete 6 credits in any of the required core courses, including one technique class, before admission to the Dance major.
- All students upon admittance to the program will attend a technique placement class to determine their class level.
For more information visit our Department web site: www.cwu.edu/dance/
Completion of Major requirements with a GPA 3.0 or higher.
All students completing this program are required to demonstrate knowledge, skills, and professional dispositions through a Capstone project before completion of the major.
Students must receive a letter grade of C or higher for all courses in the major and students who receive less than a C grade in any class that is a prerequisite for others will not be permitted to continue in the major.
All Dance major candidates must have a minimum of 3 credits in Dance Performance in order to complete the major.
All Dance major candidates must attend one professional conference in their field of study while pursuing the major.
Program Learner Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate technical competency in a dance genre.
- Define the concepts and academic language of dance.
- Demonstrate dispositions for successful employment in the field of Dance.
- Create an online portfolio as a Capstone project demonstrating their expertise in teaching, choreography and performance.