The BA degree is designed for students preparing to incorporate geosciences into broader careers such as teaching, educational outreach, resource management, environmental planning, business, or law. It is the appropriate major for students seeking an endorsement in teaching high school Earth science. The BA degree may be an appropriate prerequisite for some graduate programs, but a BS is recommended for students who anticipate pursuing a graduate degree or career in the geological sciences.
The BA in Geology pairs well with minors or double majors in communication, computer science, energy studies, environmental studies, museum studies (anthropology), science education K-8, and any other study that requires fundamental scientific skills with an emphasis on communication.
This major partially satisfies the criteria for a teaching endorsement in Earth Science (5-12), qualifying students to teach Earth science at the high school, middle, or junior high levels. Students who successfully complete the Geology BA and STEM Teaching Program (an alternative to the Professional Education Program) are eligible to apply for Washington State teacher certification. Teacher certification candidates must receive a C grade or higher in all major and STEM Teaching Program courses, have a GPA of at least 3.0 for either the last 45 graded quarter credits or overall CWU/transfer cumulative, and meet all Washington State teacher certification requirements. See the geology/Earth science teaching advisor as soon as possible to develop a course of study.
Program Learner Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Present an analysis of data and interpretations orally and in a professionally written report
- Critically interpret published scientific literature; differentiate data from interpretation
- Interpret representations of data, including graphs, maps, cross-sections
- Demonstrate working knowledge of standard geologic reference tools and resources, e.g. library, web, computer databases
- Calculate quantitative problems in the discipline
- Demonstrate knowledge of core areas of geology