Jun 13, 2021
This bachelor of sciences teaching major satisfies the endorsement for family and consumer sciences teaching for career and technical education.
Students wishing to obtain a teaching certificate in family and consumer sciences education will:
- Complete the family and consumer sciences career and technical education teaching major
- Successfully complete FCSG 205 before being fully admitted to the major
- Have a university-level cumulative GPA of at least 2.3 for full admission to this major and a 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA in the major to exit the program and to graduate from CWU with teacher certification
- Earn a grade of C or higher in each course counted toward fulfilling major requirements
- Apply, be accepted into, and complete the Teacher Certification Program
- Student teach in a CTE-approved program
- Hold a valid first aid card with CPR
- Complete 2,000 hours of paid work experience in the last six years
- Provide documentation of occupational safety
Program Learner Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrate effective planning, preparation, and delivery of family and consumer science education lessons and plans.
- Demonstrate the ability to meet the diverse needs of individuals, families, and communities in FCSE content areas.
- Demonstrate competence in at least five of the eight major areas of the FCS discipline
- Child Development
- Family and Parenting
- Personal Finance
- Life Management
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Demonstrate, practice, and use safety principles according to current industry and public schools
- Demonstrate familiarity with the concepts, theoretical perspectives, and historic trends in Career and Technical Education (CTE).
- Students are committed to ongoing personal and professional development through participation in club activities and professional membership
Choose two of the following - Credits: 6-7