Jun 13, 2021
MATH 314 - Probability and Statistics
This course is a calculus-based introduction to probability statistics. Topics include the basic rules of probability, random variables, continuous and discrete probability distributions, moments, sampling distributions for common statistics, confidence intervals, and hypothesis testing.
Prerequisite: MATH 173 with a grade of C or higher.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Apply the basic rules of probability to calculate probabilities.
- Calculate probabilities and moments for continuous and discrete distributions.
- Use sampling distributions and limit theorems to calculate probabilities for sample means and proportions.
- Apply confidence intervals, hypothesis intervals, and other statistical tools to real data sets.
- Decide on the appropriate statistical tool for a given situation, and defend the use of that particular tool.
- Write statistical problems and results clearly and correctly.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)