May 11, 2021
SPAN 385 - Spanish Phonetics
Analysis of the Spanish sound system. Students will learn to describe, recognize, and produce the sounds of standard Latin American Spanish. Other dialects will also be examined. Declared Spanish majors and minors only. Course will not have an established scheduling pattern.
Prerequisite: SPAN 253 or SPAN 263 or by placement exam.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Describe the sounds of Spanish with appropriate phonological terminology.
- Transcribe Spanish phonetically.
- Produce standard Latin American Spanish pronunciation (Non-native/Non-Heritage speakers).
- Evaluate non-native Spanish pronunciation of L-2 learners (Native/Heritage speakers).
- Provide phonetic symbols that correspond to specific sound sequences and spelling conventions and vice versa.
- Identify types of words based on rules of accentuation, provide missing written accent marks, and identify stressed syllables.
- Distinguish the major dialects of Spanish and describe how they differ from standard Latin American Spanish.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)