May 11, 2021
PHYS 463 - Fundamentals of Lasers (Put on reserve 9/16/18)
Overview of laser technology with emphasis on laser characteristics, safety, and applications. (Put on reserve 9/16/18, will go inactive 8/24/21)
Prerequisite: PHYS 363.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Select a laser for a given application in terms of desired wavelength and power.
- Select a detector for a given application in terms of desired wavelength and power.
- Apply the ABCD law to determine whether a laser cavity is stable or unstable.
- Apply Gaussian beam optics to explain the characteristics of laser radiation.
- Apply the principles of Fourier mathematics to explain optical phenomena.
- Apply electromagnetic theory to explain the principles of optics.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)