May 29, 2024  
2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalog 
2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Success


The Office of the Dean for Student Success oversees the areas of Student Achievement, Student Development and Student Living as well as serves in an advising capacity to the Associated Students of Central Washington University.   The Dean and staff coordinate the work of committees dealing with student personnel policies, student discipline, and student academic grievances.

Student Achievement

Academic Achievement Programs  

Student Support Services
Student Support Services (SSS)is a federally funded TRIO program under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Education, as defined by the U.S. Department of Education. SSS provides opportunities for academic development, assists students with basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students toward the successful completion of their post-secondary education. Students who are first generation, low income, or who have a disability are eligible for the program on a space-available basis. The program may also provide grant aid to current, active, SSS participants who are receiving Federal Pell Grants and are of freshman or sophomore status. The goal of SSS is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants and facilitate the process of transition from one level of higher education to the next. SSS is funded 80 percent by a federal grant from the U.S. Department of Education and 20 percent by CWU.

Bridges: The mission of the Bridges Project is to encourage middle and high school students, especially those from underrepresented populations, to see college as a real and viable possibility for themselves; to provide co-curricular and enrichment activities for these students; to develop the opportunities for CWU college mentors to give back to the university and greater community through their work in the schools and gain experiences by being a part of a multicultural community.

Academic Advising Center     
The University’s Academic Advising Center is located in Bouillon Hall, room 203. The Academic Advising Center staff provides new and continuing students with pre-major and general education advising. This includes information on the general education program, graduation requirements, and transferability of credits, interpreting Central Academic Progress System (CAPS) reports, and assisting students who are in academic difficulty. The center also offers special program advisors, advising seminars, college success classes, and advising publications.

The Academic Advising Center manages UNIV 101, a required course for entering freshmen that assists students with learning about the university’s policies and procedures, selecting a major, advising for general education, and other forms of support. For more information visit the Academic Advising website at

The Academic Advising Center also provides services for the Westside centers, with staff located at the Des Moines and Lynnwood campuses. Advisors at these locations provide general advising for all students. Services include general education evaluation, transferability of previous course work, and CAPS interpretation. Westside advisors also offer pre-major and major advising for students in the College of Business.

Career Services  
Career Services is a comprehensive career counseling and resource center designed to engage students as active participants in their career development from freshman year through alumni status. The central purpose of Career Services is to help students prepare for academic and career success. The office strives to serve the needs of individuals through these career-related classes, programs and events.

UNIV 103: For those who are not certain which major or career path is right for them, Career Services offers a two-credit course, Career Exploration, on the Ellensburg campus. It is taught each quarter. One-on-one counseling can achieve similar results over time if a student cannot take the class.

UNIV 301: This two-credit Career Management class helps students prepare for the transition from the classroom to the workplace. The focus of the course is on job search skills in pursuit of fulfilling employment.

Job Search Preparation: Career events are offered throughout the year to bring together CWU students and organizations that are seeking well-trained interns and graduates. On-campus interviews take place in Bouillon Hall, room 206, between students and a variety of businesses, government agencies, non-profit organizations, school districts, and the military.

Career Counseling: Career counselors help students make major and career decisions through online assessments and determining skills, strengths, values, and interests. To prepare for selecting a major, internship and career opportunities in the US and abroad, career counselors provide information on careers developing strong resumes CV’s and cover letters, practicing effective interviewing skills, learning successful internship and career job search strategies, including how to negotiate salary. Focus is on designing your future and becoming a professional. Alumni experiencing career transitions are also welcome to meet with a career counselor.

Wildcat Career Network’s: Students and alumni seeking assistance with Career Services are strongly encouraged to open an account on the  job search engine at Registration opens up the database of job and internship opportunities, and enables students to sign up for on-campus interviews and career events. There is no fee for this service. Counselors are available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in 206 Bouillon Hall in Ellensburg, and at CWU-Lynnwood and CWU-Des Moines Centers.

Cooperative Education/Internships: Cooperative Education offers assistance to students wanting to earn credits for professional work experience while they are in school. Many departments require an internship as part of the major; others accept a limited number of hours toward graduation. An internship is an opportunity to combine career, social, and personal growth with the educational process. The student works with their department advisor and the Career Services Co-op office in 206 Bouillon Hall to prepare for the process that leads to a successful, credit-bearing academic/work experience.

Career Fairs and Events: The department organizes career fairs throughout the year as an opportunity to network with employers, learn dining etiquette, interview with businesses, meet with faculty for major selection, review graduate school opportunities, and more. Check information on career fairs, workshops and events on

Educational Placement Files: Education majors are required to open a confidential or non-confidential file with our department to assist in the job-search process. Please come into the department or check for placement file details.

Graduate School Preparation: Career Services assists students with the graduate school application process, including refining the CV or resume, providing feedback on the Statement of Purpose, taking the GRE, the graduate school interview, and seeking references.

Educational Outreach Services

College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP)    
The College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP) provides financial and academic support services to freshman students from migrant and seasonal farm-working backgrounds. It is funded by a grant from the Department of Education, Office of Migrant Education. CAMP is designed to help students succeed as they begin their college careers by recruiting and assisting them through the CWU admissions process, and by providing them support during their freshman year. Eligible students receive a variety of services including scholarships, stipends, tutoring, study skills training, mentoring, career planning services, and cultural enrichment opportunities.

To qualify for the CAMP program the student must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen
  • Have freshman standing (fewer than 44 quarter credits)
  • Meet criteria to determine migrant or seasonal farm-worker status:
  • Parent (or student, if independent) has worked for at least 75 days in the last 24 months in farm-work such as production of crops, dairy products, poultry, livestock, tree harvesting, or fish farming. Farm-work must be primary form of employment and be performed on a temporary or seasonal basis
  • OR student has participated in the Chapter 1 Migrant Education Program
  • OR student or parent qualifies for the WIA167 program

To apply for the CAMP Program call 509-963-1729 (toll free 866-298-4968 x1729) or download an application off the website at

Educational Opportunity Center

Deciding where to go to college, figuring out how to pay for it, and completing all the necessary forms is complicated. The Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) is set up to help students gather the necessary information to make good decisions about their future educational plans and think clearly through the available options. EOC is available, principally, to help low-income adults, who are the first in their family to attend college, work through the admission process. For further information, call 509-574-6895 or e-mail at The webpage is located at

HEP (High School Equivalency Program)  

The High School Equivalency Program is a federally funded program that provides service to Migrant and Seasonal Farm working populations. The program conducts educational awareness, community outreach and recruitment throughout central Washington. The program recruits 125 program participants annually. All participants receive comprehensive GED preparation. This preparation consists of providing GED instruction, test preparation and tutoring services.   In addition, students are provided with career development services and educational and or employment placement assistance.

Learning Commons

University Math Center 
The University Math Center (UMC) provides academic support in quantitative skills for students in courses across the curriculum. There are two main avenues of support. The UMC staffs and operates three levels of developmental math courses to prepare students for college-level mathematics. Advising for appropriate placement is required through the Academic Advising Center. Individual tutoring is available for these courses.

The UMC’s second avenue of support is through the Drop-in Help Lab located in Hertz Hall, room 104. Students are encouraged to use the lab for any course with a quantitative component. Trained peer tutors are on staff to guide students through the process of solving problems. No appointment is necessary—students may either stop by with a specific question or use the lab as a place to do homework alone or with classmates. However, if students would prefer to work one-on-one with a tutor, appointments are also available. Current lab hours, placement information, and answers to frequently asked questions about the UMC’s services are available at

University Writing Center  
Trained peer consultants work with students of all levels and disciplines, guiding them toward written communication that will be effective in a global and diverse environment, during and after their studies at CWU. Consultants meet one-on-one with students in the center and reach out throughout the university. Consultants lead interactive workshops with small and large groups of students, tailored to the needs of each course; for example, they may discuss thesis development, research, elements of argument, organization, punctuation, citation, or peer review.  The center’s services are free and available both in-person and on-line, at the main campus and the University Centers. In Ellensburg, one-on-one consultations are available six days a week, in Hertz Hall, room 103, and the library’s Fishbowl. It is highly recommended that students schedule appointments. Live, interactive online consultations via Skype are available by appointment, for students of all campuses. For more information, go to the website,, or call 509-963-1270.

Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction  
Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction information can be accessed in Hertz 102. Supplemental Instruction options are available for a wide variety of classes.

Student Transitions and Academic Resources (STAR)  
Student Transitions and Academic Resources is an intensive academic support program that assists academically-at-risk students in completing transitions into, through, and out of the university, developing academic study skills and responsibility for learning, and achieving their educational goals. Students served by STAR are conditionally-admitted to CWU, their admission contingent upon their participation in the program and compliance with program policies. To promote the academic success, retention, and graduation of its students, the STAR program provides intensive, individualized academic advising, personal, career, and financial aid counseling, tutoring, peer mentoring, advocacy, and conflict resolution coaching, as well as appropriate referrals for students needing further assistance in resolving concerns and achieving their academic goals.

Washington Trio Expansion Program (WaTEP)   
Washington TRIO Expansion program is funded by the state of Washington and is designed to serve 250 TRIO-eligible students each year. Students must be first generation, low income, and/or students with disabilities, who are not otherwise served in a regular Student Support Services program. Students will have access to services such as those found in the SSS program with the ultimate goal to help retain and graduate them from the university.


Testing Services  
CWU Testing Services provides support to CWU students, faculty, and staff, as well as the central Washington community. Information, including a list of exams and dates, is available from its offices in Bouillon Hall, room 125, at, or by phoning 509-963-1847. CWU Testing Services administers over 25 exams and is a ETS/Prometric test center.

Exams offered include:

  • Placement into CWU courses or programs (COMPASS and the Communication test)
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests for challenging certain courses
  • English proficiency tests for non-native speakers, e.g., Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC)
  • Various certification and professional development exams including CASTLE, KRYTERION, Pan and Microsoft.
  • Tests for other topics including the General Education Development (GED), Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT), Law School Admission Test (LSAT), etc.


Student Development

Campus Life
The Department of Campus Life is dedicated to enriching students’ experiences outside the classroom by providing social, cultural, recreational, and educational programs, services, and apprenticeships. Campus Life is comprised of the functional areas including Campus Activities, Campus Life Administration, and Campus Life Publicity Center, KCWU 88.1 the ‘Burg Radio Station, SURC Custodial & Maintenance, Student Union Operations & Scheduling, and University Recreation. Campus Life representatives serve on organizing committees for campus events such as Discover! New Student Orientation, Wildcat Welcome Weekend, and Homecoming. Campus Life employs 200-plus students each year in paraprofessional positions, offers internships and practicum experiences, and provides a range of services for university departments, student organizations, and the community.

Campus Activities offers a variety of events including music, comedy, speakers, concerts, performances, and special events such as Homecoming, Family Weekend, Boo Central, Ware Fair, and Student Appreciation Day. They also offer a variety of development opportunities through the university’s clubs and organizations.

KCWU 88.1 the ‘Burg Radio Station seeks to educate, inform, and entertain the public while teaching students lifelong communication, public speaking, accountability, teamwork, and leadership skills. We seek to develop and present programming that represents a full spectrum of world culture, ethnicity, art, and expression.

The Publicity Center provides comprehensive design, marketing/media, and web service to the Department of Campus Life and the division of Student Affairs, with particular emphasis on Services & Activities fee-funded areas.

Student Union Operations provides seamless, quality services through centralized scheduling, event coordination, and technical support of university facilities or all university and non-university events.

University Recreation is committed to offering recreation programs that provide personal and professional development for a diverse university community. Our nationally recognized facilities and services support the university mission by promoting an inclusive campus environment. Our programs contribute to the wholeness and wellness of our patrons while providing co-curricular activities that complement other avenues of learning and aid individuals in achieving balance and well roundedness. Through excellent customer service and care for the individual, University Recreation seeks to provide a sense of belonging that enhances retention for students, faculty, and staff.

Westside Student Activities & Programs supports student activities and programs which include leadership training and staff development, clubs and organization advisement, special programs implementation for events such as parents’ weekend, homecoming, wildcat (new student) week, multicultural and nontraditional student programs and advertising, promotion and publications of student activities events and programs. They also offer a variety of development opportunities through the university’s clubs and organizations.


Associated Students of CWU (ASCWU)

The Associated Students of Central Washington University (ASCWU) board of directors (BOD) is the student government board elected by the CWU student body to serve as policy-development officers. Executive responsibility is vested in the seven-member ASCWU-BOD with the senior director of Campus Life serving as the primary advisor. As a vehicle from which students may share different views, the ASCWU is an integral part of the shared governance of CWU. The ASCWU-BOD recognizes and approves student clubs, student organizations, and student appointments to committees in order to serve and represent a variety of student needs and interest areas.


Student Union and Recreation Center (SURC)

The SURC is the community center of the university, providing services, conveniences, and amenities for all members of the CWU community and their guests. The Student Union portion of the SURC houses the following offices and departments: ASCWU-BOD student government, Campus Life administration and Club Accounting, Campus Activities, David Wain Coon Center for Excellence in Leadership, Center for Student Empowerment, Don & Verna Duncan Civic Engagement Center, Connection Card, Dining Services Marketplace, Holmes Dining Room, Diversity Education Center, Information Center, KCWU 88.1 the ‘burg radio station, Publicity Center, SURC Operations and Scheduling Services, SURC Box Office, Wildcat Shop, Wildcat Wellness Center, and a U.S. Bank branch. Facilities available for reserved use include a variety of meeting rooms, the SURC pit, a 345-seat theater, a ballroom which can accommodate up to 1,000 people, and all the necessary equipment and technology to support a quality program or meeting.

The Recreation Center portion of the SURC houses University Recreation which includes administrative support for intramural sports, collegiate sport clubs, personal training, group fitness, Outdoor Pursuits & Rentals, climbing wall, challenge course, and summer kids camp. Use of the Recreation Center requires the payment of a quarterly membership fee. Students enrolled in six or more credits on the Ellensburg campus are automatically assessed the quarterly Recreation Center membership fee. Students taking fewer than six credits, or CWU staff and faculty members have the opportunity to purchase a membership in person at the Recreation Center.

 University Recreation   
University Recreation is committed to offering recreation programs that provide personal and professional development for a diverse university community. Our nationally recognized facilities and services support the university mission by promoting an inclusive campus environment. Our programs contribute to the wholeness and wellness of our patrons while providing co-curricular activities that complement other avenues of learning and aid individuals in achieving balance and well roundedness. Through excellent customer service and care for the individual, University Recreation seeks to provide a sense of belonging that enhances retention for students, faculty, and staff. Programs include intramural sports, collegiate sport clubs, personal training, group fitness, outdoor pursuits and rentals, climbing wall, challenge course, summer kids camp, recreation center operations, and a myriad of special events including films, lectures, interactive programs, and instructional courses.

 Intramural Sports (IM Sports)   offers more than 20 different leagues per quarter ranging from the traditional, such as basketball, flag football, softball, and soccer to the non-traditional such as dodge ball, indoor Nerf football, and table tennis. Sports are offered in different ability levels (competitive or recreational) as well as different gender divisions (coed or open), for participation by a range of players. Students, staff, and faculty are eligible to participate in intramural programs.

Collegiate Sport Clubs allow opportunities for students, with mutual interests in a sporting activity, to represent CWU in intercollegiate competitive activities that are not available through the Department of Athletics. Each sport club is initiated, maintained, and managed by student members. Although the program is partially funded by student activity fees, fund-raising is an essential element of every club.

Personal training packages are available to all recreation center members. For a nominal charge, a personal trainer will develop a challenging workout routine specifically designed to meet an individual’s fitness goals.

Group fitness classes are available to all recreation center members for a very small fee. From spinning to ballet, intense abdominal workouts to yoga, there’s something for everyone.

Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals provides both guided trips and equipment rentals to support students’ outdoor recreation desires. The fully staffed, 50-foot climbing wall in the Recreation Center offers bouldering and roped climbing, and certification courses in top-rope belay and lead climbing.

Challenge Course programming offers the opportunity to participate in team building activities to accomplish individual and group goals on both low-ropes elements and a state-of-the-art high challenge course. Our staff will provide everything your group needs to successfully participate in the challenge course experience, including equipment and instruction, as well as a pre-event meeting to determine your group’s specific needs.

Camp C-Woo provides a quality day camp atmosphere for Ellensburg-area youth entering grades 1-5.

Students enrolled in 6 or more credits on the Ellensburg campus are automatically assessed the quarterly Recreation Center membership fee. Students taking fewer than 6 credits, and CWU staff and faculty members have the opportunity to purchase a membership in person at the Recreation Center.

Center for Leadership and Community Engagement

David Wain Coon Center for Excellence in Leadership    
The David Wain Coon Center for Excellence in Leadership (CEL) provides leadership learning opportunities to all CWU students. Training opportunities include leadership retreats, workshops, conferences, and a broad collection of resources.

Over 2,000 students participate in CEL programs each year. Current leadership programs include the Experience Leadership Project (a three-day retreat for first-year students), Cross-cultural Leadership Program, Leadership Quest (mini-retreats for all CWU students), the annual Leadership Conference, and the annual Winter Quarter Leadership Challenge. Students can also choose to live in the Kennedy Leadership House, join Omicron Delta Kappa (the national leadership honor society), and build their official CWU Leadership Transcript.

In addition to leadership programs and workshops, the CEL collaborates with faculty from multiple departments to offer leadership courses. Currently, the Emerging Leaders course and Cross-Cultural Leadership program are credit-bearing opportunities. Additional leadership courses are currently being developed and proposed. The David Wain Coon Center for Excellence in Leadership recognizes that every student has leadership capacity and will have ample opportunities to demonstrate leadership throughout their lifetime. Through CEL programs, workshops, and resources, CWU students are equipped to make a positive difference within their communities. For more information, please contact CEL by phone at 509-963-1524 or via e-mail at

Don and Verna Duncan Civic Engagement Center  
Taking action, it’s how you improve the world and yourself at the same time. The Don and Verna Duncan Civic Engagement Center (CEC) provides professional, major-oriented experiences through community service initiatives. From short-term volunteering to intense capstone service programs, the CEC encourages individuals to use their discipline-specific knowledge in order to address community-based social, political, environmental, and economic justice issues. Join the CEC in supporting important issues while building your resume and your competencies in the process. To discover what opportunities are currently available, visit or stop by room 256B in the SURC.

Student Medical and Counseling Clinic  
A staff of licensed and credentialed professionals provides medical and mental health counseling services for CWU students. The Clinic provides integrated health services and the staff of the Clinic collaborate in providing healthcare to the student. The Department of Student Health and Counseling Services strives to provide students with comprehensive out-patient ambulatory medical, counseling, and prevention services through a positive, proactive, cost-effective, accessible, and quality driven delivery system. Additionally, the two service area centers provide information and referral resources for students, faculty, staff, and parents. The Centers’ staff is available for outreach programs, peer education, psychologist internship supervision, and other climate enhancing endeavors that promote the respective missions of the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management and the University as a whole.

Veteran Services and Outreach   
The Veterans Center is located in the Bouillon Hall, room 206N. Students wishing to receive education benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) must contact the Veterans Center office. Notification is NOT automatically sent to the DVA when a veteran or other eligible person enrolls. For more information, call 509-963-3028 or visit the website at The Veterans Center provides information and guidance to veterans, dependents, and others regarding questions on Veterans GI Bill Education Benefits. It also provides information on veterans in foreign conflict grants and tuition waivers including police, firefighters, veteran survivors and dependents. Selected programs of study are approved by a Washington State Approving Agency for enrollment of those eligible for benefits under the Title 38 and Title 10 U.S. codes.

Student Living

University Housing and New Student Programs  
University Housing provides well-maintained housing facilities, with an emphasis on student development, as part of the university’s academic environment, and works to augment classroom instruction with a learning environment that is supportive of students’ educational goals, personal and interpersonal growth, and cultural awareness.  Programs such as Discover! New Student Orientation, Wildcat Welcome Weekend, and Wildcat Connections First Six Weeks are part of new student programs. In addition, First Year Experience (FYE) programs are coordinated and promoted through University Housing and New Student Programs.

CWU is a residential university with most students living on or near campus. The residence halls and apartments can house 3,300 students. CWU’s residence halls offer students a variety of quality living experiences and options.

The residences are within a few minutes’ walk of any classroom, library, or dining hall, which offers considerable convenience and flexibility to students. Residence hall staff provides crisis intervention and educational, cultural, social, and community services programs, as well as coordinating behavioral problem-solving interventions in cooperation with the Dean of Student Success.

The residence halls offer a diverse selection of communities and environments.  The residence halls, which house between 35 and 476 occupants, offer programs and environments to enhance classroom experiences. Furniture, basic FM-TV cable service, Internet hookup, basic telephone service, utilities, and coin-operated laundry facilities are also provided. Many halls have their own pool table, piano, or ping-pong table.  All residence halls are smoke-free.

Living and Learning Communities (LLCs) are available for students interested in the following areas: education, Science Talent Enhancement Program, aviation, music, Casa Latina, Asian Pacific Islander American House, Students for the Dream, International House, Leadership House, or for those participating in the Douglas Honors College. Students may request a residence hall offering a living-learning enrichment opportunity. Hall staff and faculty from these areas of interest collaborate to provide residents with educational and social activities that integrate their field of study, enhancing their residence hall experience.

Since college is a total learning experience, Central requires all freshmen who are single and under 20 years-of-age to live in the residence halls for one academic year. Running Start students under 20 years-of-age, regardless of class standing, must also fulfill the live-in requirement. Students requesting an exception to the policy must apply through University Housing and New Student Programs.

CWU also maintains 398 apartments (studio, one, two or three bedrooms) designed for single students and those with families. The apartment complexes offer activities for residents that focus on their needs and priorities. Single student complexes feature programs and facilities that assist students in developing healthy, independent lifestyles. These programs might include wellness, self-defense, cultural awareness, lifestyle planning, career planning, and recreation. The communities in the family student complexes enjoy programming and activities tailored for the needs and interest of families and older students. Many activities for children and families are presented, such as holiday events, child safety awareness programs, domestic violence programs, and career planning.

At different times of the year, demands for apartments may exceed availability. For this reason, waiting lists are provided. Applications are accepted from students who have not been officially accepted for admission to CWU, but who plan to attend classes during the dates listed on their application forms. To be eligible for apartment housing, a student must be currently enrolled in and must maintain at least 12 credit hours of coursework.

Students who are required to live in residence halls are not eligible to live in the apartments. Each tenant is required to sign a lease, which provides for renting an apartment on a month-to-month basis. Written notice must be given at least 30 days prior to vacating an apartment.  Pets are not allowed in any area of CWU housing. Central Washington University does abide by all state and federal laws pertaining to service animals in on campus housing.

Discover! New Student Orientation: New students with less than 45 credits, and all students who participated in Running Start, are required to attend an on-campus orientation and registration program. For students starting fall quarter, this program takes place on a variety of dates in July.  For winter quarter students it is held in December and for spring quarter students it is scheduled in March. New Ellensburg campus students with 45 or more credits are urged to attend the transfer orientation. Orientation for transfer students coming fall quarter are held in July or August. For those students coming for winter or spring quarter, the orientations are held in December and March, respectively. Students attending a campus other than Ellensburg need to contact the appropriate university center for information about their orientation and registration programs.

Central changed its procedure for student alcohol violations involving underage drinking, which is a violation of Washington State law as well as the CWU Student Conduct Code governing the conduct of students. The university has a comprehensive alcohol education and prevention program. Parental notification is one part of CWU’s comprehensive sanctioning procedure for underage alcohol use. CWU supports all local, state and federal laws pertaining to controlled substances and as such, cannabis is not allowed on any CWU premise.


Wildcat Wellness Center

The Wildcat Wellness Center is located in SURC 139. Services and programs delivered through the center include: alcohol/drug education, prevention and referrals for assessment and treatment, Prime for Life classes, web-based alcohol and drug curriculum, peer education programs, sexual assault prevention and response coordination, and programs that promote positive health behavior and risk reduction behaviors. 

Sexual Assault Response Coordinator   
Students may call 509-963-3233 and leave a confidential message and/or drop by the Wellness Center at SURC 139. Services include confidential, referral, advocacy, information and crisis response for victims, survivors, and significant others.
There is also a peer education program sponsored by the Wellness Center and advised by the Wellness Center’s health educator. It can be reached by phoning 509-963-3213. For additional information please visit

Student Medical and Counseling Clinic 

Students registered for 6 or more credits pay a mandatory health and counseling fee (5 or more credits for summer session) and are thereby eligible for services. There are ancillary charges for some medical services (e.g., labs, x-rays, etc.). All students are encouraged to check with the clinic business office regarding ancillary fees and charges for medical services. There are no added charges for counseling services.
Services are offered at the Medical and Counseling Clinic building (southeast corner of the campus). The clinic hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Summer hours are 8 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. when classes are in session. The Clinic is closed on weekends, holidays and during academic breaks. When the Clinic is not open, emergency medical services are available at Kittitas Valley Community Hospital. The cost of hospital care is at the student’s expense. A student accident and health insurance plan is available (through an independent vendor) and is recommended to help defray medical costs.

Appointments are taken by phone from Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Students are encouraged to call for appointments as early in the day as possible in order to accommodate their schedules.

The Student Medical Clinic (509-963-1881) is a complete out-patient/primary-care, on-campus facility available to registered students that have paid the medical and counseling fee. The medical clinic is accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care.

The medical staff provides routine and urgent-care services, including care for medical problems such as illnesses, injuries, and infections (e.g., colds, flu, and sexually transmitted diseases). It offers customary primary care services including routine physical examinations, sports physicals, travel exams and counseling, women’s health services (e.g., pap smears, pregnancy testing, reproductive counseling), and diagnostic laboratory tests/X-rays. In keeping with the educational mission of the university, emphasis is placed on education regarding the prevention and treatment of illnesses.

The Counseling Clinic  (509-963-1391) operates on the basis of a brief treatment model. Counseling services include individual, couple, and group counseling. Common student issues include transitional/adjustment strain, relationship difficulties, eating disorders, stress, anxiety, and/or depression. Group counseling opportunities routinely include coping with anxiety, therapeutic lifestyle change for depression, bipolar support, personal growth, and relationship difficulties. Special programs for campus groups are available upon request (e.g., education and outreach). Counseling services are private and confidential.

Early Childhood Learning Center

The Early Childhood Learning Center (ECLC) provides early learning to the campus community serving children aged one-month to eight-years of age. There are two sites; 1900 Brook Lane Village, Suite 100, serves children aged two years to eight years of age; Michaelsen Hall, room 109, serves children aged one month to 28 months. The program consists of early learning activities especially designed for young children; including music, language, physical activities, stories, science and math experiences, games, puzzles, blocks, and dramatic play. Nutritious meals and snacks are served throughout the day. Operating hours during the academic year are 7:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.  Summer hours vary slightly according to need. Call 509-963-1744 or e-mail at for more information.

Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities

The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities has responsibility for assisting students understanding university policies and procedures that support them. In addition, the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities is responsible for holding students accountable to the student conduct code and taking reports that include behaviors of concerns by other members of the University Community. This office is located in Bouillon 204.