Jun 16, 2019  
2010-2011 Undergraduate Catalog 
2010-2011 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition and Fees

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



General Tuition

General tuition and fee rates are established by the state Legislature and miscellaneous fees are set by the CWU Board of Trustees. Tuition for 2010-20112 is not available at this time. The tuition rates shown below are an estimate. Refer to the online version of the catalog for updates. All tuition and fees are subject to change without notice.

Click here for information about Online Payments.

Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate
students registering for 10-18 credits:

Quarterly tuition fees for residents of the state of Washington, $2,067
Quarterly tuition fees for nonresidents of the state of Washington, $5,614

Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate
students registering for nine credits or less:

Resident: Each credit, $206.70
Minimum of $413.40
Nonresident: Each credit, $561.40
Minimum of $1,122.80

Graduate (Master’s Degree)
students registering for 10-18 credits:

Resident graduate: $2,563
Nonresident graduate: $5,724

Graduate (Master’s Degree)
students registering for nine credits or less:

Resident graduate: Each credit, $256.30
Minimum of $512.60
Nonresident graduate: Each credit, $572.40
Minimum of $1,144.80

Students registering for more than 18 credits:

Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate,
  Resident: Each credit over 18, $185.90
  Nonresident: Each credit over 18, $540.60
Resident graduate: Each credit over 18,
Nonresident graduate: Each credit over
  18, $551.60


Continuing Education Tuition and Fees


All courses taught through the Office of Continuing Education are self-supporting. The waiver for veterans, university staff and senior citizens does not apply. Full fee-paying students must make additional payments at the rate established for each continuing education course in which they enroll.


Resident and Nonresident Status


Washington State law concerning resident classification for tuition and fee purposes, RCW 28B.15.012 et seq., requires that a student “(a)(i) have established a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington, primarily for purposes other than educational, for at least one year immediately prior to the beginning of the quarter for which he or she registers at the university, and (ii) be financially independent, or (b) be a dependent student, one or both of whose parents or legal guardians have maintained a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington for at least one year prior to the beginning of the quarter for which the student registers at the university.” The term “domicile” denotes a person’s true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation. It is the place where he or she intends to remain, and to which he or she expects to return when he or she leaves without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere.

Any change of residency status for a given quarter must be based on written evidence provided by the student on a residency classification questionnaire on or before the first class day of the quarter for which a change of residency is sought. Questionnaires are available through the Office of Admissions. The burden of proof in all cases rests with the student.

In accordance with RCW 28B.15.014, certain nonresidents are exempted from paying nonresident tuition and fees. To be eligible for such an exemption, a nonresident student must provide documented evidence that he or she resides in the state of Washington, and (a) holds a graduate service appointment, designated as such by the university, involving not less than 20 hours per week; (b) is employed for an academic department in support of the instructional or research programs involving not less than 20 hours per week; or (c) is a faculty member, classified staff member, administratively exempt employee holding not less than a half-time appointment, or dependent child of such a person.

Out-of-state applicants.
To qualify as a Washington State resident, a student must be a US citizen or have permanent resident (resident alien) status. A student must also be independent and have established a permanent home in the state of Washington for purposes other than education at least 12 months prior to enrollment. Verification will be requested.

The spouse or dependent of a person who is on active military duty stationed in Washington can be classified as a resident by submitting proof of military assignment. A student cannot qualify as a Washington resident if s/he (or parent, in the case of a dependent) has attended college as a resident of another state within a year prior to enrollment; has received financial assistance from another state, including reciprocity awards, within a year prior to enrollment; or possesses a current out-of-state driver’s license, vehicle registration, or other document which gives evidence of being domiciled in another state. For further information, contact the Office of Admissions at 509-963-1211.
Residency questions should be directed to the Office of Admissions. Residency requirements are subject to legislative change.


Senior Citizens


Non-Matriculated Student Application

Senior citizens are encouraged to take advantage of the large variety of courses offered at the university. Persons 60 years of age or older may register as an auditor the first day of class on a space-available basis with permission of instructor. The fee is $5 for a maximum of two courses, not to exceed six credits. Any person utilizing this provision taking more than six credits must pay an additional $25 tuition charge. Credits may not be applied toward meeting requirements for any degree or for increments on any wage or salary scale. Waivers are not available for summer.

Veterans Conflict Tuition Waiver


Waivers for veterans follow the enactment of Substitute House Bill 1174. Substitute House Bill 1174, which was adopted as Chapter 249, Laws of 2005, changed the definition of eligible veterans and eligible members of the National Guard. Under the new law, an eligible veteran means an active duty or reserve military member or a national guard member called to active duty, whose permanment home state is Washington, and who served in active federal service in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil, or in international waters, or who served in support of those  servings on foreign soil or in international waters. This waiver replaces all other military conflict waivers awarded in the past by CWU and is not available in summer.  For further information, contact the Veterans Center at 509-963-3028 or e-mail va@cwu.edu.


Tuition Waiver



Educating the citizens of Washington State is integral to Central Washington University’s mission. CWU encourages and supports its employees, as well as non-CWU state employees, and others as allowed by law, to continue their education as prescribed through this educational benefits policy. Central Washington University provides educational benefits for Central Washington University faculty, exempt, and classified staff, non-CWU state employees, members of the Washington National Guard, and veterans (as defined by 41.04.005 RCW) who are not eligible for educational benefits from the Veteran’s Administration. Eligible employees (CWU and state) must hold appointment to a half-time or more position. In addition, civil service employees must have permanent status (i.e., passed their probationary period). Faculty and exempt employees who are employed half time or more and are expected to be employed for more than six months, are eligible on the first day of employment. Eligible CWU employees may take up to eight (8) credit hours of course work per quarter. Washington National Guard, veterans, and non-CWU state employees may take up to six (6) credit hours of course work per quarter. Faculty who are hired on a quarter-to-quarter basis will become eligible beginning with the second consecutive quarter of half-time or more employment. For the purposes of this section, employment of faculty in spring quarter and the following fall quarter may constitute consecutive employment.

Employees who are not eligible for the tuition and fee waiver are: faculty on courtesy appointments; retired faculty, staff, and exempt personnel; and undergraduate and graduate assistants, associates, or others holding positions with student status. An employee who has met university admission requirements and filed proof of eligibility with the Office of the Registrar no less than 15 working days prior to the beginning of each academic term may take up to eight credit hours of coursework for a nominal fee each quarter (summer excluded). Enrollment is subject to space availability only. Enrollment in a closed or wait-listed course under this waiver is prohibited. Refer to CWU academic policy 2-2.15 for further information.

Tuition Refund Schedule


A continuing student will receive a 100 percent refund of tuition and fees if a complete withdrawal from the university occurs prior to the sixth day of the quarter.

A student will receive a 50 percent refund of tuition and fees if a complete withdrawal from the university occurs on or after the sixth day of the quarter and within 30 calendar days of the beginning of the quarter.

There is no refund of tuition and fees if withdrawal from the university occurs after the 30th calendar day of the quarter.

There is no refund for individual class withdrawals after the change of schedule period.

Tuition and fees may be refunded to students unable to complete coursework as a result of being called to active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States.

Miscellaneous Fee Schedule


Fees are subject to change for the 2010-2011 academic year.

Application for Admission Fee: $50, plus a $100 non-refundable confirmation fee will be assessed and applied toward your tuition.

Athletic Fee: $42 mandatory fee per quarter for all students. Students with less than 10 credits will be assessed $4.20 per credit.

Audit Fee (without credit): A student enrolling in a course as an auditor is charged regular fees.

Background Check Fee: In order to participate in certain programs/majors, a student must arrange for and obtain a criminal background check from the appropriate law enforcement agency. Information regarding the process, requirements, and costs can be obtained through the department offering the program/major.

Breakage Fee: Students enrolled in certain courses are required to pay for any equipment they break. Fees are variable according to the item broken.

Credit by Examination Fee: Students applying to challenge a course will be assessed a nonrefundable fee of $15 per credit, with a minimum of $30 per course challenge.

Graduation Fees: The fee for a non-teaching baccalaureate degree is $30. The fee for a teaching baccalaureate degree is $72. An additional $12 will be assessed for concurrent degrees. The fee for degree reapplication is $20. Cost for regalia is updated each year on the Wildcat Shop
website located at www.wildcatshop.net.

Health and Accident Insurance: Group insurance is optional. An additional premium will allow student dependents to be covered by medical facilities other than the student health center, which is reserved for student use only. For further information, inquire at the Cashiers Office.

Health and Counseling Fee: $72 per quarter for all campus-based students enrolled for six or more credit hours. Fees will vary during summer session; review the Summer Session handbook for current fee.
International Studies Application Fee: A fee of $50 per student per quarter for students participating in study abroad or exchange programs.

Late Fee: Students failing to pay their tuition in full by the published deadline are assessed a $50 late fee.

Late Registration Fee: Students will be charged a $25 per course fee for registration from the sixth through the 10th day of instruction; a $50 fee per course for the 11th day through the 30th day of instruction; and $75 per course after the 30th day. Permission to add courses will still require signature of the instructor or department chair and dean after the 10th day of classes.

Master’s Thesis Binding Fee: Students submitting a thesis as part of the requirements for the master’s degree pay a fee of $75 for the binding of three copies of their thesis. Two copies are deposited in the library and one copy is given to the student. Students not needing a copy for themselves will be assessed $50. Any students wanting more than one copy for themselves must make their own binding arrangements for the extra copies.

Parking: Students using the university’s parking facilities must purchase a campus parking permit.

Recreation Center Fee: $95 per quarter for all Ellensburg campus-based students enrolled for six credits or more.

Registration Cancellation Fee: $50. Students who register and do not drop their classes prior to the change of schedule period, and have extenuating circumstances that result in a refund of tuition, will be assessed a $50 cancellation fee.

Safe Ride Fee: $3 per quarter. No fee for Summer Session.

Student-in-Training (Liability) Insurance: In order to register for certain courses, a student must arrange for individual student-in-training (liability) insurance purchased either through the CWU business office or through some other agency. Information regarding types of coverage available may be obtained from the department chair or program director.

Supply and Equipment Fees: Students enrolling in certain courses are charged for supplies and equipment not furnished as part of the course.

SURC Building Fee: $64 per quarter for all Ellensburg campus-based students enrolled for 10 credits or more. Students with less than 10 credits will be assessed $6.40 per credit. Students with one credit will be assessed the same as the two credit fee, $12.80.

Technology Fee: $25 mandatory fee for all students. Students with less than 10 credits will be assessed $2.50 per credit.

Transcript Fee: $7 for each copy. $15 for on-demand, express mail, or FAX copies. All fees are due in advance. A $2.25 credit card fee may apply if ordering through the clearinghouse.

Tuition Nonpayment Fee: Students who have not paid full tuition by the 30th calendar day of the quarter will be assessed a $75 tuition nonpayment fee. A hold will be placed on their student record and they will be liable for 100 percent of tuition and fees. Students will receive notification to their CWU e-mail account. Students must have their student account cleared prior to registering for future quarters.

Web-based Course Fee: $40 per class will be assessed for all Web-centric (WC) and Web (WW) courses.


Financial Obligation


 Admission to or registration with the university, conferring of degrees, and issuance of academic transcripts may be withheld for failure to meet financial obligations to the university. Payment received from students will be applied in the following priority: 1) oldest charge; 2) tuition and course fees; 3) housing and dining charges; 4) other charges.
Registration, by telephone or in person, obligates students for payment of all tuition and fees. If tuition is not paid by the due date, students will be assessed a $50 late fee and be liable for any other reasonable collection costs and charges.