The major combines a liberal arts background in literature with specialized writing courses in creative writing (fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, screenwriting), business writing, professional writing, scientific and technical writing, editing, and publishing.
Program Learner Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate their writing competence by successfully meeting the rhetorical needs of situations requiring the application of a variety of genres and styles.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a range of literary perspectives, genres, conventions, and forms.
- Apply knowledge of writing in a professional setting
- Use their knowledge of traditional grammar, writing craft, and rhetorical techniques to revise and edit their own writing.
- Develop a professional disposition for working collaboratively and providing effective feedback to other authors
- Understand and be able to articulate orally and in writing how literature is contextualized historically and culturally.