A comprehensive studio art degree for students desiring careers in graphic design/visual communications. Critical thinking through the exploration of digital and print media is emphasized. After completion of the art core and pre-graphic design prerequisites, students are required to complete the graphic design concentration requirements, including a contracted field experience. Transfer students are encouraged to complete as many of the transferable art requirements prior to enrolling at CWU.
An Apple laptop is required.
Program Learner Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Show knowledge of the historical antecedents of visual communications.
- Apply and demonstrate the use of the basic design elements of space, line, color shape, texture form and value.
- Demonstrate and apply the basic design principles, such as unity, harmony, contrast, repetition, variety, emphasis, balance, proportion, functionality, proximity, etc.
- Identify the typographic fonts that are considered classic and put these fonts to use in visual communication projects.
- Use industry tools and software to create visual communications projects.
- Demonstrate understanding of how to use LeCorbusier’s modular grid system of layout design and be able to deconstruct said system.
- Assemble a professional portfolio to show prospective employers.