2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Physical Education and School Health Major, BS
Hedi Henschel Pellett, EdD
Kenneth Briggs, EdD, health education, pedagogy
Stephen C. Jefferies, PhD, physical education, pedagogy
Heidi Henschel Pellett, EdD, physical education, pedagogy
Kirk Mathias, EdD, physical education, pedogogy
Mark Perez, EdD, health education, pedagogy
P. Stefan Ward, PhD, physical education, pedagogy
This major satisfies the Washington State endorsement for K-12 health/fitness.
Admission Description and Requirements
Students may enter the physical education and school major in either the fall or winter quarters. Students planning to enter this dynamic and innovative pedagogically oriented program need to meet with the program director prior to admission. This program coupled with teacher education requirements is designed to satisfy the Washington State Teaching Endorsement requirements to teach K-12 health and fitness. The following additional requirements also apply:
- Classes in this major are organized over six consecutive quarters and must be taken in sequence.
- Students who receive less than a C grade in any class that is a prerequisite for others will not be permitted to continue in the major.
- Students taking this major who plan to teach in Washington State public schools are required to complete the Professional Education Program requirements offered through the Teacher Preparation program in the College of Education and Professional Studies.
- Students may also graduate with a nonteaching BS degree in physical education and school health.
- All students must complete a professional portfolio prior to beginning student teaching. Non-teaching majors must complete the portfolio prior to graduation.
- Professional dress requirements apply to many classes in this major. Students must comply with these requirements to participate in the program.
See the physical education, school, and public health website for more information: www.cwu.edu/~pesph.
For the major application procedure, contact the physical education and school health program director.