Sep 23, 2023
ECON 308 - Sports Economics
This course applies microeconomic principles and game theory to analyze a range of issues in the sports industry. Economic impact of sports teams and facilities, labor relations, athlete compensation, market structure, sports analytics, pricing, regulations.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the key economic issues in professional sports.
- Use microeconomic principles to analyze various market structures found in the sports industry including monopsony power of team owners, sports leagues as cartels, tax subsidies for sports teams.
- Examine regulations governing the sports industry including antitrust laws, drug policies, special legal treatment of leagues.
- Apply game theory tools to understand athlete salary negotiations, labor relations, game play, and strategy.
- Identify sources for sports data and use it to conduct economic analysis.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Spring Locations: Ellensburg
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)