Sep 22, 2021
CHIN 261 - Heritage Chinese Through Film and Media
Develop communicative skills and cultural literacy using Chinese film and popular media as a basis. For heritage speakers. CHIN 261 and CHIN 251 are equivalent courses; students may not receive credit for both.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Recognize idiomatic speech in films and identify relevant cultural context using the increased knowledge of Chinese vocabulary and grammar.
- Identify and differentiate Chinese grammatical and syntactical patterns in written text.
- Use context-appropriate speech to discuss important ideas from assigned films: from descriptive narration and characterization to argumentation and critical analysis.
- Summarize and analyze cinematic texts within their historical and cultural context.
- Analyze films from the perspectives of form both in written and oral modalities.
- Formulate an effective oral presentation using tools of formal and cultural analysis of a favorite film.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)