Mar 02, 2024
MATH 120 - Mathematics as a Mirror: Cultural and Historical Approaches
Mathematics is a living field of study which has reflected cultural ideas and norms throughout the centuries. This course will explore the relationship between culture and mathematics in Europe, Africa, and Asia across time. Course will be offered on odd numbered years. Course will not have an established scheduling pattern.
General Education Category: K6 - Individual & Society
General Education Pathways: P6 Ways of Knowing
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Compare and contrast different forms of mathematical reasoning used in different cultures and at different times.
- Analyze the social networks through which mathematics is transmitted today, and how this was done in various cultures in the past.
- Seek out and utilize research resources in the history of mathematics and science.
- Evaluate claims that the political and social structure of a culture effects its mathematics using both historical and quantitative methods.
- Articulate ways that social structures affect access which groups have access to mathematical knowledge.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)