May 29, 2023
SPAN 454 - Medical and Legal Spanish for Translators and Interpreters
This course will acquaint students with the most common medical and legal terms in Spanish, and will teach them how to translate and interpret effectively from English to Spanish and vice versa. May be repeated up to 10 credits. Course will be offered every year (Spring).
Prerequistes: SPAN 442 and SPAN 443.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Recognize English vocabulary for common medical conditions and common issues in law.
- Define and correlate medical and legal terminology in both English and Spanish.
- Apply appropriate English and Spanish vocabulary for diagnosing physical conditions and justify language application.
- Apply appropriate English and Spanish vocabulary for use in legal cases and justify language application.
- Evaluate the ethical issues pertaining to medical and legal interpretation.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)