Feb 02, 2023
SHM 454 - Risk Management Principles and Practices
An overview of risk management, categories of risk, the loss exposures an organization may face, and tools that safety/risk management professionals can use to determine the significance of a loss exposure to an organization. SHM 454 and SHM 554 are layered courses, a student may not receive credit for both. Course will be offered every year (Fall).
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Concept of enterprise-wide risk management and the various risks faced by an organization.
- Identify and apply risk management standards and guidelines.
- Explain how ISO 31000 provides a framework and a process for an organization to manage its risks.
- Apply the enterprise-wide risk management framework and process to an organization’s hazard risk.
- Given a description of a business operation, recommend techniques for identifying and mapping risk.
- Demonstrate an ability to quantify risk through the application of statistical analysis techniques.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Approved Fall 2017
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)