Aug 10, 2022
SCED 305 - The Story of Science
Study of how knowledge evolves as people interact with each other and their environment. Behaviors and interactions will be analyzed in the context of episodes in science. Course will be offered every year. Course will not have an established scheduling pattern.
Prerequisite: Sophomore standing or above.
General Education Category: K6 - Individual & Society
General Education Pathways: P5 Sustainability, P6 Ways of Knowing
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify basic principles and institutions upon which scientists base their work.
- Describe how scientists work together and work with individuals outside the field of science to study the natural world.
- Explain and apply the case study method to summarize and analyze episodes in science.
- Analyze how scientists respond to prevailing social, cultural, and scientific pressures.
- Describe specific key episodes in the history of science.
- Define sustainability and explain how scientists throughout history have applied the notion of sustainability to their work.
- Explain how the actions of various scientists impact issues of sustainability at the local and global levels.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)