Jun 08, 2023
SHM 379 - Facility and Building Safety
Program management relating to facility and building safety including basic concepts of fire safety, fire prevention, fire protection, accessibility, confined spaces, indoor air quality and ventilation, and walking-working surfaces.
Prerequisite: SHM 351.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define basic fire prevention and protection terminology.
- Demonstrate their ability to anticipate, recognize, evaluate, and develop control strategies associated with fire hazards.
- Demonstrate their ability to identify the common fire extinguishment agents used and the different options available in terms of fire suppression, fire detection, and alarm systems.
- Demonstrate how to use and inspect a portable fire extinguisher.
- Evaluate a building in terms of life safety.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)