Sep 23, 2023
SCED 322 - Science Education in the Elementary School
Techniques, selection of materials and appropriate subject matter for the various grade levels. Demonstrations and student investigative activities for use in classroom science teaching.
Prerequisite: current WSP/FBI fingerprint clearance, and conditional or full admission to the Teacher Certification Program.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop and teach a science lesson to elementary students using the learning cycle method.
- Demonstrate understanding of the scientific method.
- Appropriately assess student learning by developing and appropriately applying assessments that measure student learning outcomes relative to standards.
- Use safe practices when teaching science.
- Adapt existing curricula and resources to age-appropriate lessons using best teaching practices.
- Demonstrate effective questioning skills to guide students in hands-on exploration.
- Integrate science lessons with other subjects.
- Align curricular materials to specific benchmarks such as NSES, WA EALRs and WA GLEs.
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)