Jun 05, 2023
PSY 205 - Psychology of Adjustment
The nature of the adaptive process and the means by which people adjust to their environment. Course will be offered every year (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer). SB-Foundations of Human Adaptations and Behavior (W).
General Education Category: SB-Foundations of Human Adaptations and Behavior (W). K6 - Individual & Society
General Education Pathways: P2 Health & Well-being, P6 Ways of Knowing
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Compare and contrast adjustment and personal growth which include major psychological theories used to explain personality development, psychological adjustment, and learning.
- Examine and discuss the concept of the self and how the social world contributes to self-esteem, self-concept, and self-identity and deciding on a career that leads to satisfaction and fulfillment along with identifying the current issues associated with the workplace.
- Identify and explain the difference between physical and psychological factors associated with health, including physical and psychological reactions to stress related to the immune system and cognitive processes, eating and living habits that contribute to a healthy life including nutrition, substance abuse, and sleep hygiene.
- Examine and discuss prejudice and bias and its development along with the effects of social influence and the factors associated with persuasion, obedience, and conformity and how it contributes to behaviors within society.
- Analyze and evaluate the building and maintaining of relationships including interpersonal, intimate, sexual, and romantic relationships, and friendships, and the importance of effective communication to overcome the challenges related to relationships as well as maintaining healthy relationships.
- Identify and describe the types of mental disorders along with the overall development, prevalence, biological factors, and criteria used to diagnose a mental disorder and evaluate the types of therapy associated with psychological disorders and well-being and the effectiveness of each therapy.
- Identify, explain and apply some empirical research methodologies including the scientific method and the major features of research methods used to study psychology.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)