Mar 27, 2023
PHYS 451 - Analytical Mechanics II
Advances study of dynamic systems. Introduction to variational principles, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian methods, central force motion, rigid-body rotations, and coupled oscilators.
Prerequisite: PHYS 351.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations to the analysis of appropriate mechanical systems.
- Analyze and predict the behavior of a central forces problem
- Apply energy and momentum conservation to analyze and interpret collisions and scattering events
- Analyze and predict the behavior of the rotational and translational motion of a rigid-body
- Calculate the eigenmodes and eigenfrequencies of coupled harmonic oscillators
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Fall Locations: Ellensburg
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)