Sep 23, 2021
CTE 311D - Career and Technical Education School Law and Issues Related to Abuse
Advanced teaching pedagogy, history, and philosophy of career and technical education, school law and issues related to abuse, leadership, and work-based learning. May be repeated up to 5 credits. Formerly OCED 311D, students may not receive credit for both. Course will be offered every year. Course will not have an established scheduling pattern.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the certified teacher responsibilities under each section of WAC 180-44. Apply knowledge to individual practices.
- Understand the Code of Conduct for teachers in Washington State and analyze and evaluate the impact on teacher behavior and performance.
- Become familiar with and apply the standards and criteria for obtaining a professional teaching certificate and a CTE certificate through the College University route or through the Business Industry route.
- Analyze and evaluate the minimum criteria for the evaluation of a certificated employee.
- Analyze and evaluate the 1st, 4th, 5th and 10th Amendments to the US Constitution and how they relate to public education and to student, parent and teacher rights and responsibilities.
- Evaluate landmark cases that have impacted schools.
- Interpret the rights of teachers and cite court cases.
- Analyze and become familiar with the Landmark cases referring to education, teachers, schools, parents and students.
- Become familiar with common legal terms that apply to public education.
- Become familiar with the Federal and State Court System.
- Analyze the differences between criminal and civil law.
- Analyze the rules and regulations for students in Special Education or who have Section 504 plans.
- Become familiar with and be able to identify abuse and neglect.
- Evaluate the teachers legal responsibilities under RCW 26-44.
- Learn how and when to report abuse and neglect.
- Distinguish what is considered Harassment and Bullying.
- Analyze the impact of abuse on the behavior and learning of students.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)