Nov 29, 2022
MUS 101 - History of Jazz
History of artistic, cultural, and technological developments in jazz, focusing on important players and performances. Introduction to fundamental musical concepts and methods; emphasis on active listening, social justice, current issues. Course will be offered every year (Fall, Winter, Spring). AH-Aesthetic Experience.
General Education Category: AH-Aesthetic Experience. K3 - Creative Expression
General Education Pathways: P3 Perspectives on Current Issues, P4 Social Justice
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify and describe selected important historical developments, styles, and performers in jazz history.
- Evaluate jazz performances in their historical, aesthetic, and cultural contexts.
- Demonstrate knowledge of jazz from the perspectives of aesthetic development, nationalism, race, and gender.
- Analyze jazz and related music examples using appropriate terminology, and communicate clearly and thoroughly the student’s descriptions of and reflections on jazz music.
- Analyze the ways that technology and industry have influenced the social, cultural, and artistic development of jazz in the past and in contemporary society.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)