Jun 07, 2023
GEOL 434 - Petroleum Geology
Petroleum geology delivers a comprehensive introduction to the application of geology in the oil and gas industry, including the origin and occurrence of petroleum, application of geology in exploration and production, and the evolution of the industry in the context of global demand. GEOL 434 and GEOL 534 are layered courses; students may not receive credit for both.
Prerequisite: GEOL 210 or permission of instructor.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the geological basis behind the origin and occurrence of oil and gas.
- Apply geologic principles in the exploration and development of oil and gas resources.
- Formulate and present exploration and development prospects based on geologic and economic data in a simulated competitive (business) environment.
- Summarize of the history, present state, and possible future of petroleum exploitation and use in the context of overall global energy demand.
- Explain basic technical challenges, physical hazards and environmental impact associated with drilling, completing and producing oil and gas wells.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)