Dec 05, 2023
EDEL 478 - Developmentally Responsive Curriculum in the Middle Grades
An in-depth exploration of research-based middle school curriculum that meets the development needs of young adolescents. This course focuses on middle school curriculum and its process by which it is designed, integrated, and evaluated.
Prerequisite: full admission to the Teacher Certification Program and current WSP/FBI fingerprint clearance.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student/teacher candidate will be able to:
- Design and/or modify curriculum to be relevant, challenging, integrative, and exploratory for all students within a given classroom.
- Design and/or modify curriculum to be representative of the goals and outcomes of the Common Core State Standards.
- Demonstrate an understanding of their roles in the total school curriculum process that involves horizontal and vertical teaming, curriculum mapping and alignment, selection of materials, etc. for young adolescents.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to integrate instructional technology into the curriculum and operationalize it within the classroom.
- Utilize UbD lesson planning strategy.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to provide effective student feedback that facilitates continued learning.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to effectively develop and deliver instructional lessons within a learning environment.
- Demonstrate their knowledge of the importance of Professionalism.
- Demonstrate their knowledge of the importance of creating a caring, stimulating, inclusive and safe community where middle Level learners can take intellectual risks and work independently as well as collaborative.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)