Jan 29, 2023
EDEC 412 - Responsible Childhood Assessment
Exploration and application of childhood assessment, birth-elementary with emphasis on responsibility, ethics, purpose, decision-making, and alignment; designed to impact individual learning outcomes, professional implementation, and program improvement. Course will be offered every year (Fall, Winter, Spring).
Prerequisite: EDEC 306.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate methods of working with children to self- assessment and set goals in developmentally appropriate ways. 1.2
- Demonstrate strategies for partnering effectively with all stakeholders to inform and enhance support for children’s learning through listening, observing, and data collection. 2.1
- Identify a variety of assessment methods (formal and informal) used from birth through elementary school, designed to provide information about children, teaching, and programs. Program Standard.
- Demonstrate understanding of how to evaluate and use standardized assessment tools, and integrate standardized data with other assessment data. 2.5
- Distinguish between assessment methods, targets, and the intended purposes. Program Standard.
- Implement assessments within specified categories, as well as interpret and communicate the resulting data. Program Standard.
- Demonstrate understanding of how to use developmentally and culturally appropriate practices to observe, record, and assess young children’s development and learning. 3.5
- Consider theory, research, assessment information, and perspectives of others to make informed decisions about instructional strategies and program content. 5.1
- Demonstrate understanding of the role of the teacher in assessing and referring children and families to appropriate community health or social service agencies when necessary. 5.4
- Demonstrate understanding of informal and formal assessment strategies for the purpose of setting goals and planning appropriate programs, environments, and interactions, and adapting for individual differences. 5.5
- Select appropriate assessment tools based on intended purpose, reliability, and validity. Program Standard.
- Propose and/or construct assessments tools which are aligned with the intended purpose. Program Standard.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)