Sep 22, 2021
COM 408 - Feature Writing and Freelancing
Students will learn the skills needed to conceive, report and write a wide range of feature stories for newspapers, magazines, and online publications, as well as how to succeed as a freelance writer.
Prerequisite: COM 226.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Research and generate feature story ideas and develop unique angles
- Conduct effective interviews for feature stories.
- Use observation as a reporting tool to capture scenes and anecdotes to make stories more vivid to the reader.
- Use narrative techniques to construct narrative stories.
- Write features about places.
- Write profiles, both long and short.
- Write features based on issues and trends.
- Find markets for their work and effectively pitch stories to those markets.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Winter Locations: Ellensburg
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)