Jul 06, 2022
CMGT 443 - Heavy Civil Utilities
An introduction to the materials, equipment, methods, and safety requirements for the construction of underground and above ground utilities including water, sewer, natural gas, and electrical systems.
Prerequisites: CMGT 346 or CMGT 347.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the items and terminology of utility systems and the techniques required to construct them.
- Identify the major materials used in constructing underground utilities. Be able to select the required equipment to install these materials.
- Identify appropriate safety measures during the construction of underground utilities.
- Demonstrate the basics of trenchless construction techniques.
- Identify the major components of water/sewer treatment and central utility plants.
- Analyze a set of utility construction plans and provide a plan on type of equipment to be used, tasks and crew sizes required.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the code requirements for underground utilities.
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)