May 27, 2023
CHEM 361LAB - Organic Chemistry Laboratory I
An introduction to organic chemistry laboratory techniques including melting point determination, recrystallization, extraction, distillation, chromatography, and IR and NMR spectroscopy. Six hours of laboratory weekly. Course will be offered every year (Fall and Winter).
Co- or prerequisite: CHEM 361.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Run IR spectra of liquids and solids. Gain experience interpreting IR and NMR spectra.
- Determine identity and purity of organic solids through melting point determination.
- Purify organic compounds through recrystallization, extraction, distillation.
- Practice working with a team of other scientists in a laboratory setting.
- Practice making hypotheses, collecting and evaluating data.
- Practice technical report writing.
- Practice finding information in the chemical literature, and extracting specific information from the primary chemical literature.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)