Apr 01, 2023
ANTH 359 - Survey of Music in Cross-cultural Perspectives
An introduction to ethnomusicology: the cultural context of music with emphasis on Africa, Asia, Native North and South America, Oceania. ANTH 359 and MUS 359 are cross-listed courses; students may not receive credit for both.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss and examine specific issues pertaining to the nature of musical creation.
- Define ethnomusicological terms and concepts.
- Identify geographical distribution of musical phenomena and the stratification of music in society.
- Aurally recognize and classify stylistic characteristics and write in a scholarly manner about various ethnic traditions and genres.
- Identify the intellectual, personal, emotional, and political problems associated with intercultural musical contexts.
- Recognize both the diversity and universality of the world’s music.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)