Aug 18, 2022
MUS 537 - Diction for Singers 2 (Advanced IPA and German)
A course designed to teach the singer and choral director the International Phonetic Alphabet symbols as specifically applied to the German language, the correct execution of German sounds, and the basic pronunciation rules of German.
Prerequisite: MUS 536.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the symbols of the International Phonetic Alphabet.
- Execute the physical movements necessary to produce the sounds symbolized by the IPA symbols specifically used in German pronunciation.
- Transcribe German texts in correct IPA symbols using standard rules of pronunciation.
- Read German aloud from IPA transcriptions and from the original text.
- Sing the sounds of the standard musical forms of German from IPA transcriptions and from the original text.
- Translate German texts word for word using a combination of rudimentary grammar rules, a dictionary, and a poetic translation when available.
- Identify mispronunciations and poorly produced phonetic sounds in German song literature.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)