Sep 24, 2022
MUS 538 - Diction for Singers 3 (Advanced IPA and French)
A course designed to teach the singer and choral director the International Phonetic Alphabet symbols as specifically applied to the French language, the correct execution of French sounds and the basic pronunciation rules of French. At the graduate level students will be focusing on finer details of French, and preparing more advanced texts.
Prerequisite: MUS 536.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the symbols of the International Phonetic Alphabet. Students will be able to execute the physical movements necessary to produce the sounds symbolized by the IPA symbols specifically used in French.
- Transcribe French texts in correct IPA symbols using standard rules of pronunciation
- Read French aloud from IPA transcriptions and from the original text.
- Sing the sounds of the standard musical forms of French from IPA transcriptions and from the original text.
- Translate French texts word for word using a combination of rudimentary grammar rules, a dictionary, and a poetic translation when available.
- Identify mispronunciations and poorly produced phonetic sounds in French song literature.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)