Aug 13, 2022
PSY 554 - Behavioral Assessment and Observation
This course will familiarize students with measurement and observational recording techniques used in the context of behavioral interventions. Various behavioral assessment techniques will also be covered (e.g., preference assessments, functional assessments). Acceptance into ABA/School Psych. programs or by permission.
Co-requisite: PSY 551.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe various methods of direct observation of behavior, when each method should be used, and the strengths and limitations of each observation technique.
- Describe reliability and validity issues associated with behavioral assessment and methods to ensure high reliability and validity.
- Describe behavioral assessment techniques, conditions under which use of each assessment is appropriate, and the strengths and limitations of each assessment method.
- Accurately utilize several methods for identifying potential reinforcers and when each method is appropriate for use.
- Correctly describe functional assessment and functional analysis procedures for assessing challenging behavior.
- Identify common interventions based on the function of the behavior.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)