Sep 23, 2023
MUS 541 - Advanced Conducting
Emphasis upon the conducting of advanced literature in the major performance media. May be repeated for credit.
Prerequisite: MUS 342.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate basic conducting skills including basic beat patterns, expressive conducting, preparation, releases, cuing, fermatas, asymmetric beat patterns, phrasing, tempo changes, dynamics, and articulation
- Read basic clefs including treble, soprano, alto, tenor, and bass clefs
- Read basic orchestral instrument transpositions including B-flat, E-flat, F, A, and G
- Be able to critically examine other conductors
- Articulate issues that relate to orchestral conducting including: programming, ear training, rehearsal technique, budget management, and string bowing
- Demonstrate knowledge of standard orchestral repertoire
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)