Apr 02, 2023
ENG 518 - Advanced Literary and Critical Theory (Put on reserve 9/16/19)
Advanced study of the theory and practice of various critical perspectives and strategies as they inform the study of literary texts. (Put on reserve 9/16/19, will go inactive 8/24/22)
Prerequisite: ENG 512.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify major developments in literary and critical theory evaluate their relevance to the analysis of literary works.
- Explain the critical approaches informed by specific theories and analyze their historical and cultural background.
- Apply selected critical approaches to literary works.
- Recognize and critique the argument underlying critical writings.
- Examine at least one theory or theorist in depth.
- Evaluate the critical approaches and their theoretical assumptions by way of developing their own critical orientation as literary scholars and critics.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)