Dec 06, 2021
EDLM 536 - Survey of Children’s and Young Adult Literature
Considers the field of children’s and young adult literature; literary genres, major literary awards, leading representative authors, historical and recent trends. Includes topics of cultural diversity and reading promotion. EDLM 436 and EDLM 536 are layered courses, students may not receive credit for both.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the seven genres of children’s literature and YA literature and be familiar with books in each genre.
- Identify leading authors and their books in the various areas of children’s and YA literature.
- List major illustrators of children’s literature.
- Prepare promotion strategies to present children’s literature and promote reading.
- Identify literature from various cultural groups around the world and compare different version of fairytales.
- Discuss issues of censorship.
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)