Jul 03, 2022
BIOL 501 - Research Methods and Techniques
An introduction to methods, techniques, and procedures commonly used in biological research. Experimental design of research projects will be emphasized.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Investigate, evaluate, and synthesize a wide array of current and historic biological scientific literature sources.
- Construct testable scientific hypotheses based on observations and inferences.
- Apply appropriate scientific procedures to test hypotheses.
- Apply principles of data analysis (including statistics), avoid misinterpretation and misuse of data analyses, and identify and use suitable data analysis tools.
- Present scientific ideas clearly and concisely in writing, and revise own scientific writing based on standard scientific writing models (e.g., CBE Manual, Chicago Manual of Style).
- Construct quality figures and tables from original data sets and recognize common problems in data presentation
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
Anticipated Course Offering Terms and Locations:
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)