Dec 06, 2021
JAPN 442 - Translation and Interpretation
Translation into English of Japanese textual material drawn from a wide range of sources. Course will be offered on even numbered years (Spring).
Prerequisite: JAPN 363.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Recognize common reference materials and tools (dictionaries, lexicons, online databases, etc.) used in translation of Japanese into English and choose the appropriate materials for subject matter in source language.
- Recognize and differentiate among the most commonly read textual sources in Japanese culture and public opinion.
- Compare and contrast salient features of Japanese orthographic change over the last 150 years.
- Perform translation from Japanese to English at a level of accuracy commensurate with professional translator competency.
- Apply translation theory to examples of translation.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)