May 24, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Engagement and Success

The Office of the Vice President of Student Engagement and Success oversees the areas of Student Engagement and Success, Student Access and Equity, Health and Wellness, Admissions, Student Financial Services, Enrollment Marketing and Communication, as well as serves in an advising capacity to the Associated Students of Central Washington University. The Office of the Vice President of Student Engagement and Success provides support and coordination of a number of student and university-wide committees affecting the student experience. The Office of the Vice President of Student Engagement and Success provides students educationally-purposeful programs, events, and services and activities that promote academic, personal, and professional growth within and beyond the classroom.

Associate Vice President for Equity and Belonging

ASCWU - Student Government
The Associated Students of Central Washington University (ASCWU) are the student government members elected by the CWU student body to represent all students equally and fairly and to ensure that their voices are heard. Executive responsibility is vested in the six-member ASCWU-Executive Board with the Vice President of Student Engagement and Success and designee serving as the primary advisor(s). As a vehicle from which students may share different views, the ASCWU is an integral part of the shared governance of CWU. The ASCWU Student Government recognizes and recommends student appointments to university committees and boards in order to serve and represent a variety of student needs and interest areas. 

Location: SURC 236
Phone: 509-963-1693

Career Services
Career Services is a free comprehensive career counseling and resource center designed to engage students as active participants in their career development from the first year and after graduation. The central purpose of Career Services is to empower students to pursue meaningful careers and lives. Services are currently offered virtually with some in person appointments.

  • UNIV 103: For those who are not certain which major or career path is right for them, Career Services offers a two-credit course, called Career Exploration, on the Ellensburg campus. One-on-one counseling can achieve similar results over time if a student cannot take the class.
  • UNIV 301: This two-credit career management class helps students prepare for the transition from the classroom to the workplace. The focus of the course is on job search skills in pursuit of fulfilling employment.
  • Job Search Preparation: Career workshops are organized throughout the year to help students prepare for work or graduate school. To prepare for internship and career opportunities in the US and abroad, career counselors provide information on careers, developing strong resumes, CV’s and cover letters, practicing effective interviewing skills, learning successful internship and career job search strategies, including how to negotiate salary.
  • Career Counseling: Career counselors help students make major and career decisions through online assessments and determining skills, strengths, values, and interests. Counselors also assist students to apply for graduate school and post-bachelor studies. Counselors are available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m Monday to Friday. Appointments are available by phone, Zoom, or e-mail. See our web page to book online.
  • Wildcat Career Network: The WCN database contains career information, job and internship opportunities, and enables students to sign up for on-campus interviews and career events. Students can access their account through their MyCWU account.
  • Cooperative Education/Internships: An internship is an opportunity to combine career, social, and personal growth with the educational process. The student works with their department faculty and Career Services to prepare for the process that leads to a successful, credit-bearing academic/work experience.
  • Career Fairs and Events: The department organizes events throughout the year as an opportunity to network with employers and learn professional career skills.
  • For further information: or email

Diversity and Equity Center (DEC)
Located in Black Hall 101, the Diversity and Equity Center (DEC) cultivates a sense of belonging and community on campus through programs and initiatives that encourage students to explore their identities, challenge barriers and empower themselves and their communities. The DEC hosts cultural programs, identity-based affinity programs, engagement opportunities for the campus community, student staff jobs and learning opportunities around social justice for our campus community. We offer a physical space for community gathering and meetings specifically for students with marginalized identities. Our students and the campus community are always welcome in the DEC; stop by and see how we can support you.

Office location: Black Hall 101
Phone: 509-963-2127

Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities
The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities is responsible for upholding community standards by providing developmental opportunities for students’ academic and personal growth. The office uses an educational and student-centered approach, including both informal and formal processes, to provide  resources, education, and crisis management services to support holistic student success and development. The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities serves the entire university community and responds to reports of student concerns, including Behaviors of Concern reports, for all CWU locations and students. This office is located in Bouillon Hall 205 on the Ellensburg campus (Phone: 509-963-1817), Email:

Student Involvement
Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement actively serves the CWU community by developing opportunities that cultivate individual and collective engagement within leadership, civic engagement, campus engagement and campus club experiences. Our purpose is to encourage a sense of belonging, identity exploration, and promote positive social change within individual communities, the university and beyond.

We believe that ordinary people can make an extraordinary differences. Student Involvement is comprised of the functional areas including ASCWU-Student Government, Leadership, Involvement, Community Engagement, Student Clubs and Organizations and Campus Activities.

With endowments by David Wain Coon and Don and Verna Duncan, CWU students and our community with development programs. Through inclusive and intentional high-impact practices, students are provided opportunities to enhance and develop individual competencies to better understand self, others, citizenship and service.

The Inter Club Association (ICA), coupled with Leadership and Community Engagement, strives to create a holistic collegiate experience through co-curricular student club focused opportunities that foster passion exploration, leadership development and the cultivation of habits of lifelong learning. It is the goal of the ICA to provide avenues for personal, professional, intellectual, and social growth in an ever-expanding collaborative environment.

The department recognizes that every student has leadership capacity and will have ample opportunities to demonstrate leadership throughout their lifetime. Through various programs, workshops and resources, CWU students are equipped to make a positive impact within their communities. From short-term volunteering to intense capstone service programs, individuals are encouraged to use their disciple-specific knowledge in order to address community-based social, political and environmental economic justice issues.

Location: SURC 253
Phone: 509-963-1691
Website:  Student Leadership, Involvement, & Community Engagement (SLICE) | Central Washington University ( |  2023-2024 ASCWU Student Government | Central Washington University

Veterans Center  
CWU’s Veterans Center opened in 2009 to support veterans, service members, and their families entering college. The center is dedicated to supporting student veterans, service members, and their families through their educational journey at CWU. We provide outreach to prospective students, assistance in navigating funding options, and programming that builds support and awareness for our community. Services include assisting with veteran education benefit applications, certifying enrollment, and locating additional resources. Find more information at, or call 509-963-3028, or email:


General Information
Central Washington University (CWU) offers admission to qualified students as they apply. All applicants must submit a completed CWU application along with a non-refundable application processing fee or fee waiver. Please contact Admissions for more information on fee waivers.

CWU has a rolling admission policy which means that students may submit an application for any quarter at any time before that quarter starts. CWU has set the priority application date for fall quarter for first-year and transfer students as March 1. This coincides with the Scholarship Central application. Applicants that apply for fall quarter will be notified of an admissions decision within one to two weeks after all application materials are received. Applications received after March 1 will be processed on a space-available basis. For the most current information and admissions deadlines for other academic quarters, please visit

For initial admission, applicants must meet minimum standards as established by the State of Washington. The Academic Affairs Committee may recommend more stringent standards as well as standards for automatic admission. Standards for initial admission will be established by the Academic Affairs Committee of the Faculty Senate in consultation with Vice President of Student Engagement and Success. Adherence to established standards of admission will be monitored by the Academic Affairs Committee.

First-Year Applicants
First-year applicants are students who will graduate from high school and enroll the summer or fall immediately following high school graduation, regardless of number of college credits earned while in high school through Running Start, College in the High School, Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), etc. or

Those who have earned fewer than 40 quarter hour college credits from an accredited two-or four-year college or university after high school graduation.

CWU offers guaranteed admission for students with 3.0 or higher high school GPA and completion of College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs). See below for more information on CADRs. For those who do not meet this criteria, CWU offers a comprehensive review process which takes into consideration: high school GPA, a personal statement, high school grade trends, and course rigor. At least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA) in all high school and any applicable college work. Note: ACT/SAT scores are not required.

  • Applicants with a 3.00 cumulative GPA or higher who have satisfied the State of Washington CADR requirements will be admitted. A personal statement is not required.
  • Applicants with a 2.99-2.50 cumulative GPA who have satisfied the CADRs will be evaluated through the comprehensive review process that considers factors such as a personal statement, grade trends, and the rigor of the courses completed. A personal statement may be required.
  • Applicants with a 2.49-2.00 will be evaluated through the comprehensive review process that considers factors such as a person statement, grade trends, and the rigor of the courses completed. A personal statement is required. First-year applicants deficient in any of the CADR areas up to, but not exceeding 3 Distribution Requirements, may be considered through the alternate admissions standards (CWUP 5-90-020(6)). Students considered for admission through the alternate admissions standards will be subject to the comprehensive review process and may be required to submit a personal statement.

Students denied admissions may submit an appeal. Appeals are reviewed as per CWUR 2-90-020(8) Admissions Appeals.

Official application materials must be received by the office of admission, including all high school and college transcripts.

College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs)
CADR refers to college admission criteria. Each school district determines which of its courses meet CADR guidelines. Students are encouraged to take additional courses above and beyond the minimum CADRs.

  • English: 4 credits, including 3 credits of literature and composition.
  • Math: 3 credits plus 1 credit of a senior year math-based quantitative course. Acceptable courses include algebra I, algebra II, geometry, pre-calculus and above, math analysis, statistics, applied math, appropriate career and technical courses, or an algebra-based science course such as chemistry or physics. If you take and pass pre-calculus or math analysis of calculus prior to your senior year, you’re exempt from this requirement.
  • Social Science: 3 credits. Acceptable courses include world history, US history, anthropology, contemporary world problems, economics, geography, government, political science, psychology, sociology.
  • Lab Science: 3 credits (two credits must be earned in lab courses including one credit in an algebra-based lab science and one course in biology, physics or chemistry).
  • World Language: 2 credits of the same world language, Native American language or American Sign Language.
  • Arts: 1 credit. Acceptable courses include classes in fine, visual, or performing arts or 1 credit beyond the minimum in any other required CADR areas.

College Credit Earned While in High School
Regardless of the number of college credits completed, or if an associate degree is earned, students earning college credit while in high school, including coursework taken during summer after graduation, will be considered first-year for admissions purposes. Running Start students and others with college credit are eligible for all freshmen scholarships and must live on campus for their first year. CWU accepts most college credit earned while in high school, including programs such as:

  • Advanced Placement (AP)
  • College in the High School
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • CWU Cornerstone
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Running Start

Home-school Applicants
A home-schooled student is any applicant who will complete their high school coursework at home and will not receive a diploma from an accredited high school. An applicant is qualified for first-year admission if they:

  • Present evidence of their completion of the academic CADR courses by submitting an official home-school transcript. Transcripts must be signed by a parent or guardian in order to be official.
  • Provide the GED as proof of high school completion. A GED is not required but may be submitted for eligibility for Federal Financial Aid and to participate in varsity athletics.
  • Submit any official college transcripts (if applicable). Regardless of the number of college credits completed, students earning college credit in high school will be considered first-year for admissions purposes as long as they do not take coursework after graduation from high school (excluding summer).

All home-schooled students will be reviewed by the Admissions Review Process on an individual basis.

Transfer Applicants
Applicants who have completed a transferable associate’s degree from an accredited post-secondary institution will be admitted as space allows.

Applicants without a transferable associate’s degree, but with at least 40 quarter (27 semester) transferable credits at time of application, from an accredited post-secondary institution may be admitted as space allows provided they have at least a 2.50 cumulative GPA in transferable courses. Applicants lower than 2.50 will be evaluated through the comprehensive review process (see CWUP 5-90-020(7)). A personal statement will be required.

Applicants with fewer than 40 quarter (27 semester) transferable credits at time of application will be considered for admission if they also meet the first-year requirements. (See CWUP 5-90-020(2)(B))

Students with a cumulative transfer GPA below a 2.00 may be admitted through the comprehensive review process (see CWUP 5-90-020(7)). For students with a cumulative transfer GPA of less than 2.00, college-level credits earned below a 2.00 may be disregarded for admissions purposes only, provided the work was completed at least four years before the time of enrollment at CWU. Application of this policy is contingent upon both evidence of extenuating circumstances and evidence of future academic success.

Applicants Without High School Diplomas (including alternatively graduated applicants).

Applicants who have not earned a high school diploma may be offered admission to the university under the alternative admissions process outlined below.

Alternative Admissions
Applicants who do not meet admission criteria may be considered for admission by the admissions review committee through an alternative admissions pathway. Such applicants include, but are not limited to, applicants who have been home-schooled, persons who are 18 or older and have neither completed high school nor 40 credits of college work elsewhere but have earned the GED, applicants deemed deficient in high school course requirements, and applicants who are 25 or older who have poor academic histories and who have not attended school recently. Applicants considered through the alternative admissions pathway will be subject to the comprehensive review process and are required to submit a personal statement. Applicants without an associate degree must satisfy the foreign language admission requirement prior to completing a total of 135 credits.

International Students
Central welcomes qualified students from other countries. Students demonstrating the greatest potential for success at the university level may be admitted after a thorough review and evaluation of their entire academic background. Because educational systems vary widely around the world, there is no single, uniform admission requirement for international students. International students must meet the following minimum requirements for admission purposes:

1. Evidence of completion of the academic course work and national examinations that would qualify them to apply to colleges and universities in their native country.

2. If English is not the first language, competency in English demonstrated in one of the following ways:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum score of 525 paper-based, 195 computer-based, and 71 internet-based.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum score of 6.0.
  • Duolingo English Test minimum score of 100
  • Completing two English department approved composition courses each with minimum grade of 2.0, “C” or equivalent rating from a regionally accredited U.S. college, university, or an approved university partner.

3. If English is the first language, the foreign language requirement for the bachelor of arts degree can be fulfilled by completing the basic skills foreign language requirement, passing the CLEP®, passing a foreign language course challenge exam, or obtaining approval from the chair of World Languages.

4. Applicants transferring from U.S. institutions must have a minimum grade point average in transferable courses as established by the Academic Affairs Committee or DTA associate degree from an accredited Washington State community college (or approved out-of-state transferrable associate degree).

5. Adequate financial support for the student’s intended studies. Financial support will be judged based on applicant’s confidential financial statement and a current bank letter or guaranteed source of funding.

6. If all of the above conditions are met, the student is recommended for admission by the international admissions counselors, and the Office of International Studies and Programs may issue the INS certificate of eligibility for F-1 status (Form 1-20).

Exceptions to the above admissions requirements must be approved by the admissions review committee in consultation with the Director of International Studies and Programs.

Students who originate from one of the following countries are considered to have met English Proficiency Standards: Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and English-speaking provinces of Canada. These students are exempt from furnishing proof of English proficiency documents.

International Transfer students who are transferring from U.S. institutions must have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 in transferable college level courses and meet the academic requirements for college entrance in their native country. Though not required for admission purposes, adequate financial support, verified by the Confidential Financial Statement form and a current bank letter or scholarship award, is required of all international applicants.

All supporting documents should be sent a minimum of 90 days in advance of the quarter for which the applicant seeks admission.

Students who submit international college or university transcripts must have an official course-by-course translation. Evaluation may be done by university personnel or one of the following foreign credential evaluation companies: Foundation for International Services (FIS) Inc. at or World Education Services (WES) at

Re-admission of Former Students
Students who interrupt their CWU studies for more than one quarter (excluding summer) must re-apply for admission to the university and pay the application fee. If the student has attended any institution during their absence from CWU, the student must send official transcripts of all post-CWU coursework to the Office of Admissions at the time they re-apply. Eligibility for re-admission will be based on prior academic performance at the university and any courses completed since last attending CWU. If a student left on academic or disciplinary suspension, they should contact the dean of student success for reapplication instructions at least 30 days prior to the start of the quarter for which the student is applying.

Confirmation of Admission
Students who are offered admission to the university must confirm their intention to enroll by utilizing the “confirm your admission” button sent to them via email. This will begin the advising, registration and orientation process. The university may withdraw an offer of admission for fall quarter if confirmation is not complete by May 1. Students who have not confirmed may be denied admission after that time if enrollment limits have been reached. Students who choose not to accept offers of admission should notify the Office of Admissions by emailing An offer of admission is only valid for the academic quarter indicated in the acceptance letter. A student who chooses not to accept an offer of admission may re-apply for a subsequent quarter.

Revocation of Offer of Admission
Offers of admission may be revoked by the Office of Admissions if a student’s academic work between the time of application and the quarter for which the student has applied results in the student not meeting the admissions criteria or other university standards.

Non-matriculated Student Application
Students who are not seeking degrees or certificates may be allowed to enroll in courses as non-matriculated students. These students do not need to go through the regular admissions process but should apply through the Office of the Registrar by completing the non-matriculated application form. Non-matriculated students register during open enrollment a space-available basis. Credits earned as a non-matriculated student may not be used to satisfy degree or certificate requirements unless the student applies and is accepted as a matriculated student, in which case a maximum of 45 credits may be applied. Exceptions may be made for non-matriculated students in collaborative certificate programs.

Students who have previously attended CWU as matriculated students and have not obtained a degree, or students who have applied and been rejected for undergraduate matriculated status will not be allowed to enroll as non-matriculated students. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for most financial aid, veteran’s benefits, or other services regularly provided for matriculated students.

High School Enrichment Program
Students who have not yet graduated from high school may be allowed to enroll as non-matriculated students. High School Enrichment Program applicants must submit official copies of their high school transcript and complete the high school enrichment application available from the Office of the Registrar. High school enrichment applications must be approved by the student’s high school principal and the CWU Registrar; regular tuition and fees apply for students attending under this program. For further information, please call 509-963-3001 or e-mail

Orientation and Transition Programs

At Central Washington University, we place special emphasis on each student’s transition to the CWU campus. Through research and our own experience, we know that the foundations built through these intentional experiences are key to a student’s success. Once you are admitted to CWU, New Student Programs will pick up where the Admissions Office leaves off for both first-year and transfer students. Making the commitment to spend your college career at CWU is a major decision. With this in mind, it only makes sense that the CWU community welcomes you and your support networks by providing a comprehensive set of orientation experiences as you move through this transition.

Location: Bouillon 205 Phone: 509-963-2735
Visit us online at

Wildcat Preview Days is an optional event for prospective, admitted students and their support networks. You will be introduced to academic majors and campus resources, learn about clubs and organizations, and explore campus!

Inica Tu Futuro is a Spanish Language track offered at each Wildcat Preview Day for Spanish speaking students and support networks. Representatives from campus departments showcase all that CWU has to offer.

Admitted Student Days: For first-year students this is an optional, program where you will build connections with other students, engage with resources, learn about living in a residence hall, conduct business, and confirm your class schedule. For transfer students we will focus on your personal transition to CWU and the greater Ellensburg community in partnership with the Transfer Student Center. Support Networks are encouraged to attend.

Todos Somos Familia is a Spanish language orientation during each Admitted Student Days for Spanish speaking support networks. You and your support networks will receive valuable information about what to expect at CWU.

Week of Welcome is the REQUIRED Orientation & Onboarding event that will help you feel at home at Central. You will continue to build connections other students, become familiar with campus, gain wellness strategies, and learn about CWU procedures, expectations, and how to contribute to the community. We want to help prepare you for a successful academic experience. In addition to many fun activities, we have planned several valuable educational sessions and workshops. Participation is required for all students enrolled in University 101.

University 101: Transition to CWU is brought to you by CWU’s Undergraduate Studies and Learning Commons areas. UNIV 101 is designed to foster a successful transition to CWU. This course will promote a sense of belonging and discovery, stimulate engagement in curricular and co-curricular activities, and connect students to campus resources. Out-of-class student participation in Week of Welcome and throughout the term are required to receive full credit towards your overall grade. Students with fewer than 45 credits are required to take UNIV 101 during their first quarter on campus.

Transfer Center

The Transfer Center helps transfer students at all CWU locations make a seamless transition from their previous institution to Central. Staff provide pre-transfer and transition counseling.. and work closely with Washington community and technical college personnel, CWU faculty, academic advisors, Financial Aid, Office of the Registrar, and the University Centers around the state. The Transfer Center can help with … 

  • personalized advice for pre-transfer planning;
  • learning more about the general education program at CWU;
  • understanding transfer course equivalences;
  • referrals to academic departments and other campus resources; and
  • answering transfer student transition questions and concerns.

We offer transfer students a physical lounge to connect with other transfer students, access peer mentoring, and attend programming events. For more information about transfer student services, call 509-963-1390, email us at, or visit us in person at Bouillon 210 or online at

Federal Grant Areas

TRIO Educational Opportunity Center (EOC)
Deciding where to go to college, figuring out how to pay for it, and completing all the necessary forms is complicated. The Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) is set up to help students gather the necessary information to make good decisions about their future educational plans and think clearly through the available options. EOC, a federally funded program is available, principally, to help 1,000 low-income adults who are the first in their family to attend college, work through the admission process. For further information, call 509-574-6895 or e-mail

TRIO Student Support Services (SSS)
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded TRIO program under the U.S. Department of Education. SSS provides for academicsupport, assists students with basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students toward the successful completion of their post-secondary education. Students who are first generation, low income, or who have a disability are eligible for the program on a space-available basis. The program may also provide grant aid to current, active, SSS participants who are receiving Federal Pell Grants and are of first-year or sophomore status. The goal of SSS is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants and facilitate the process of transition from one level of higher education to the next. SSS is funded 80 percent by a federal grant from the U.S. Department of Education and 20 percent by CWU.

Passport to Careers (PTC)
The Passport to Careers (PTC) program is housed within the Academic Achievement Programs at CWU. PTC is a Washington state publicly-funded scholarship and support program for students from foster care and those who have experienced unaccompanied homelessness. Through enhanced financial aid and tailored support services, PTC helps Passport scholars enroll, persist, and complete their post-secondary programs or apprenticeships. PTC at CWU represents a partnership between the university and the College Success Foundation. Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office. For more information, contact Financial Aid, or see the following:

Washington Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Program

Passport to College Promise Scholarship

State Contact
Dawn Cypriano-McAferty
Program Manager, Washington Student Achievement Council 

CWU Campus: (509) 963-2026
Toll-Free: (888) 535-0747

College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP)
The College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP) provides financial and academic support services to first-year students from migrant and seasonal farm-working backgrounds. The CAMP program, funded 100% by a grant from the US Department of Education, Office of Migrant Education, is designed to help students succeed as they begin their college careers and through their first-year year. CAMP students receive a variety of services including scholarships, stipends, tutoring, skills for academic success, training, mentoring, career planning services, and cultural enrichment opportunities. 

To qualify for the CAMP program, the student must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen
  • Have first-year standing (fewer than 44 quarter credits)
  • Meet criteria to determine migrant or seasonal farm-worker status:
  • Parent (or student, if independent) has worked for at least 75 days in the last 24 months in farm-work such as production of crops, dairy products, poultry, livestock, tree harvesting, or fish farming. Farm-work must be primary form of employment and be performed on a temporary or seasonal basis
  • OR student has participated in the Chapter 1 Migrant Education Program
  • OR student or parent qualifies for the WIA167 program

High School Equivalency Program (HEP)
The High School Equivalency Program is a federally funded program that provides service to migrant and seasonal farm working populations. The program conducts educational awareness, community outreach and recruitment throughout central Washington. The program recruits 110 program participants annually. All participants receive comprehensive GED preparation. This preparation consists of providing GED instruction, test preparation and tutoring services. In addition, students are provided with career development services and educational and/or employment placement assistance.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial Aid
Each year approximately 80 percent of CWU students receives financial aid. To be eligible for federal aid a student must be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen. The FAFSA is also Washington resident students’ application for state aid. Washington state aid programs are available to eligible DREAMers (undocumented students) who complete the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA).

Financial aid is available to matriculated students seeking a degree or certification in an eligible program. Most financial aid programs require a minimum of half-time enrollment, which is 6 credits at the undergraduate or post-baccalaureate level and 5 credits at the graduate level. Students who have a first baccalaureate degree and are not admitted to a master’s program are classified as a post-baccalaureate student. Post-baccalaureate students are eligible for federal loans.

Students must apply and be accepted for admission into a degree seeking program (matriculated) to receive financial aid. To receive federal aid, students and their families must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The application can be completed online at If ineligible to file the FAFSA, Washington resident students and their families can be considered for the Washington State aid programs by submitting a Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). The WASFA is available on the web at www.wsac.wa.govwasfa.

The application should be submitted as soon as possible after October 1 each year. This year, March 1 is the priority submission date for limited gift aid. Completing the FAFSA/WASFA accurately and timely response to all requests for additional information are critical. If you are selected for Verification, be sure to submit all required documents in MyCWU by May 1 to ensure your Financial Aid will be ready by September.

Students who listed Central Washington University’s Title IV code #003771 on a submitted FAFSA will have a student financial aid file delivered to the university electronically. Once that file completes the quality assurance process the student will receive an award letter. WASFA applications go through the same process before aid is awarded by the financial aid office. 

The award letter indicates the estimated student cost of attendance, the federally determined expected family contribution, and an offer of aid including the type and amount. You must accept, reduce, or decline aid offers on MyCWU. Aid is disbursed quarterly in equal amounts. If you have chosen to borrow student loans, the master promissory note and loan entrance counseling are completed electronically at

Students are expected to maintain “good academic standing” while receiving financial aid. A minimum CWU cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for undergraduates after two years of attendance; a minimum CWU cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for post-baccalaureates; and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for graduate students. Financial aid recipients are also required to make reasonable progress toward a degree.

Additional financial aid information is available at,, or by calling 509-963-1611.

Scholarships are gift aid which do not have to be repaid. More information on CWU scholarships is available at The Scholarship Central application opens each October and closes March 1st. Scholarships awarded are for the next academic year beginning in fall quarter. Apply online via MyCWU using the path MyCWU>Student Dashboard>Financial>Scholarship Application. 

Scholarship eligibility is based on a variety of criteria including, but not limited to, academic proficiency, specialized talent, community service, leadership, and financial need. College and departmental selection committees as well as Financial Aid Office staff select scholarship recipients. Some scholarships require students to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), or WASFA (Washington State Application for Financial Aid), In addition, students with talent in athletics, art, music, and/or theatre should contact the department(s) directly for specific audition or exhibition opportunities. Institutional merit aid is awarded to incoming students based on GPA. Scholarships may not require financial need.

Community-sponsored scholarships include awards for which the recipients are chosen by organizations outside the university. Each organization establishes its own eligibility criteria, application process, and committee. More information can be found at the scholarship website or by contacting the organizations directly. The Washington Student Achievement Council has a free, web-based scholarship matching clearinghouse for Washington residents and students and serves as a simple and central scholarship search and application resource. See to create a profile. Scholarship recipients must inform the CWU Financial Aid Office if they are expecting an award from a community organization. Checks should include student’s name and ID number and be made payable to “Central Washington University.” Send to the CWU Cashiers Office, 400 East University Way, Ellensburg, WA 98926-7490.

Scholarships  may change a student’s eligibility for other institutional, state, or federal aid programs.

Health and Wellness

Health and Wellness is a collaborative integrated wellness model, which creates a culture that values health and wellness as a key component of success for students while attending CWU and in their future lives. The Associate Dean of Health and Wellness is located in Bouillon 204.

Office of Case Management
The Office of Case Management provides crisis assistance to students in distress and coordinates follow-up care for students with a variety of academic and wellness-based needs. Case Managers address student concerns by assessing the individual circumstances of students and making appropriate referrals to need-specific resources and services. When necessary, the Office of Case Management collaborates with relevant CWU departments and community services to balance the needs of individuals with the welfare of the entire community, and provides intervention during campus crises in order to minimize the impact of an incident on CWU students. All CWU students, regardless of location, are eligible to receive Case Management services and Case Managers are available for consultation with CWU community members regarding concerns for student health and safety. The Office of Case Management is located in Bouillon 203 and can be reached by phone at 509-963-1515.  Timely student referrals are best made by submitting Behaviors of Concern Reports ( or Suicide Concern Reports (, as warranted. 

University Recreation is committed to offering inclusive opportunities that promote a lifelong commitment to health and wellness. Our nationally recognized facilities, programs, and services contribute to the holistic wellness of our patrons while providing co-curricular and extracurricular activities that complement other avenues of learning. Through excellent customer service and care for the individual, University Recreation builds a community of engaged wildcats with a passion for life in motion. Programs include intramural sports, collegiate sport clubs, personal training, group fitness, outdoor pursuits and rentals, climbing wall, summer kids camp, drop-in recreation, and a myriad of special events including films, lectures, interactive programs, and instructional courses.

  • The Recreation facilities include the Recreation Center, Lister Tennis Courts, Alder Fields, and the Recreation Sports Complex. The Recreation Center offers strength training and cardio equipment, fitness studios, a 1/8 mile indoor jogging track overlooking 4 multi-purpose courts, and administrative offices for the department. The Recreation Sports Complex has a ¼ mile NCAA competition track and a lighted synthetic turf field. Hours of operation can be found at
  • Intramural Sports, also known as IM Sports, offers a variety of leagues and tournaments per quarter. Intramural sports are competitions and events played between teams from within our own university, as opposed to outside schools coming in to play. Sports range from traditional offerings such as basketball, flag football, softball, and soccer to the non-traditional such as dodgeball, archery tag, and esports. Leagues are offered at different levels of competition based on skill level and time commitment. Playoff opportunities and extramural tournaments are available at all levels. Students, faculty, staff, and alumni with Recreation memberships are eligible to participate in intramural sports. For more details on how competition levels work or how to get involved, go to
  • The CWU Collegiate Sport Clubs Program is designed to provide opportunities for CWU Students with mutual interests in a sporting activity, to pursue their interests more in depth. Each club is formed and administered by their student membership. Student leadership, interest, and participation are essential elements of a successful sport club. The Collegiate Sport Club Program at CWU is designed to be a learning experience for members through their involvement in leadership, club administration, financial management, and event planning. The leadership traits developed through these experiences are not only intended to benefit the students during their time on campus, but long after they leave the university. For a current list of clubs please visit
  • Personal training packages are available to all recreation center members. For a nominal charge, a personal trainer will develop a challenging workout routine specifically designed to meet an individual’s fitness goals. For more details on personal training, go to
  • Group fitness classes are available to all recreation center members as a part of their membership. From spinning to barre, intense abdominal workouts to yoga, there’s something for everyone. For a list of current Group X classes, go to
  • Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals provides memorable outdoor adventures via guided trips, outdoor programs and equipment rentals to support students, their outdoor recreation desires, and their educational needs. OPR student employees go through extensive professional level trainings to offer quality outdoor experiences as well as training to respond to various emergencies related to first aid, CPR, Swiftwater, avalanche rescue, winter mountainous travel, non-winter mountainous travel, rock climbing & mountain biking. For more information on OPR, go to
  • The 50-foot climbing wall in the Recreation Center offers bouldering and roped climbing, certification courses in top-rope belay and lead climbing, as well as academic classes, climbing competitions, youth programs, private events, and much more. For current programs, please refer to
  • Camp C-Woo provides a quality day camp atmosphere for Ellensburg-area youth entering grades 1-5. Our primary function is to offer a safe environment where kids can have fun, make new friends, create unforgettable memories, and spend their summer with positive role models. The camp primarily operates during the summer months but has a variety of programs during the school year. For more information about Camp C-Woo please visit
  • The University Recreation Student Development area provides purposeful recruitment and training to personally and professionally develop each student employee. Hiring is conducted on a quarterly basis for most program areas. Through a thoughtful hiring process, leadership cohorts, campus collaborations, and networking opportunities, University Recreation student employees learn and enhance their skill set and will graduate from CWU as a more responsible, professional, and educated citizen. To learn more about student employment opportunities, visit

Student Health Services
Student Health Services are offered at the Medical and Counseling Clinic building (southeast corner of the campus). The Clinic hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday when classes are in session. Summer  hours are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. When the Clinic is closed,.students can access free medical and counselling appointments via telehealth visits through Wildcatcares365. Emergency medical services are available at Kittitas Valley Community Healthcare. The cost of hospital care is at the student’s expense. During regular business hours, medical appointments are available by phone (509-963-1881), Monday through Friday. It is imperative that you log onto the student portal and complete the required forms prior to your first medical appointment. The Clinic bills insurance for the initial medical appointment only. If you do not have insurance, your student account will be billed. There is no charge for all follow-up office visits. There will be charges for any ancillary services provided (e.g., labs, x-rays, etc.). More information about Student Medical Services can be found at:

Our medical providers provide routine and urgent-care services, including care for chronic medical conditions, as well as acute  illnesses, injuries, and infections (e.g., colds, flu, and sexually transmitted infections). Student Health Services offers primary care services including care of chronic illness, routine physical examinations, sports physicals, immunizations, reproductive health services (e.g., pap smears, pregnancy testing, long term contraceptives and reproductive counseling), and diagnostic laboratory tests/X-rays. In keeping with the educational mission of the university, emphasis is placed on education regarding wellness, prevention and treatment of illnesses.

A Tele-healthcare option, available 24/7, has been implemented to increase access to healthcare and mental health needs that students may require when the clinic is typically closed. Wildcat Care 365, a virtual platform with an actual provider on the other end, puts medical, mental health, and wellness at your fingertips to support you when you need it 24/7, 365 days a year.

Student Counseling Services
Matriculated students who pay the health and counseling fee are eligible for services. All counseling services are provided free of additional charge. Counseling Services are available Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm when classes are in session; during the summer quarter, hours are 8am - 12pm and 1pm - 3pm. After hours and during weekends, students are directed to use WildcatCare365’s TalkNow service to access a counselor or to the local crisis line (509-925-4168) for professional support and access to local crisis intervention when needed. WildcatCare365 is accessed by downloading the TimelyCare App or visiting and logging on with CWU credentials.

Student Counseling Services (509-963-1391) operates on the basis of a brief treatment model. After an individualized consultation, a collaborative treatment plan is created with each student. Individual counseling is only one of several outcomes that can result from an individualized consultation. Counseling Services include urgent mental health care, individual, couple, group counseling, support groups, and educational workshops. Common student issues include transitional/adjustment concerns, relationship difficulties, disordered eating and body image concerns, stress, trauma, anxiety, and/or depression, among others. Group counseling opportunities routinely include coping with anxiety, therapeutic lifestyle change for depression, personal growth, and relationship difficulties. Special programs for campus groups are available upon request (e.g. education and outreach) as are limited psychodiagnostic testing services. Counseling services are private and confidential within the limits of the law.  Student Counseling Services is committed to providing services that are culturally affirming and responsive for all students, particularly those from marginalized identities and communities.

Services modalities include both in-person and teletherapy options, particularly for students attending Center campuses or who are Distance Education students. Eligible students who reside outside of Washington State can receive on-going counseling services through WildcatCare365. Visit for more information.  

Wellness Center
Located in SURC 256, the Wellness Center promotes campus well-being and encourages collective actions that support the health of individuals and environments. The Wellness Center uses health promotion theory to design programming, individual interventions and environmental initiatives. The office hosts programs and educational trainings on violence prevention, alcohol or other drug risk reduction, and positive mental health. Staff partner with the campus community to improve holistic well-being. We employ students, advise clubs and organizations and partner with faculty in classroom instruction and service learning opportunities. We also offer a physical space for CWU students to engage in mindfulness and other health promoting activities.

The University has a comprehensive alcohol education and prevention program.  Parental notification is one part of CWU’s comprehensive sanctioning procedure for underage alcohol and marijuana use. CWU supports all local, state and federal laws pertaining to controlled substances and as such, cannabis is not allowed on any CWU premise.

P.A.T.H. Advocacy   
Prevention, Advocacy, Training and Healing (P.A.T.H.) is available to CWU students impacted by sexual violence or other forms of interpersonal violence. P.A.T.H. is located in the Wellness Center at SURC 256. Services include confidential consultation, referral, advocacy, information and crisis response for victims, survivors, and/or significant others. Those experiencing an emergency are still encouraged to contact 9-1-1. For more information about Central’s comprehensive response to power-based personal violence, please visit