Jun 03, 2020
The specialization in Sport Business is one of three options for completing requirements for the Sport Management major. Students who choose to specialize in Sport Business typically enter the sports industry in entry-level positions.
Students must maintain a 2.75 (on a scale of 4.0) as a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) in the Sport Business coursework and achieve a minimum grade of “C” in each of the courses.
Sport Management, BS
Brian McGladrey, Ph.D., CSCS
The major in Sport Management is designed for students interested in pursuing a career in the sports industry. The sports industry in the U.S. now generates revenues that exceed $200 billion annually. Accordingly, the number and type of career opportunities associated with sport continues to grow. Classroom learning, combined with experiential learning gained through practicums and internships, will allow students who earn a Bachelor of Science in Sport Management to position themselves for success in entry-level positions in a variety of sport-related occupations.
Examples of potential careers in sport management include:
- Collegiate Coaching = coaching, recruiting, summer camps
- Interscholastic Coaching = coaching
- Youth Coaching/Leadership = coaching, league director
- Professional Sports Teams = ticket sales, marketing,
- Collegiate Athletics = athletics director, public relations, compliance
- City/Community Recreation = administration, league director, promotions
- Athletic Facilities = management, membership marketing/sales
- Collegiate Recreation = management, student services, facilities
Sport Management Emphasis Areas
Students choosing to major in Sport Management will complete a “core” of coursework, and choose to specialize in one of the following emphasis areas:
- Sport Coaching
- Sport Business
- Physical Activity Programming
Students must complete SPM 101-Contemporary Sport Management before applying to the program. For the major application procedure, contact the Sport Management Program Director.
Students must maintain a 2.75 (on a scale of 4.0) as a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) in the major’s coursework.
Students must choose one from three Sport Management specializations: (1) Sport Coaching; (2) Sport Business; or (3) Physical Activity Programming. A minimum grade of “C” is required in each of the major’s courses.
Sport Business Specialization
Required Courses Credits: 15
Department-Approved Electives Credits: 15
Select from the following:
Total Specialization Credits: 30