Economics Admission Information
The following objectives apply to all individuals pursuing a BS in economics:
- Students completing an economics degree will possess the tools which enable them to analyze and understand macro and micro economic problems and policies.
- Students will possess qualifications and knowledge which will help them to find employment in fields related to economics.
- Students will acquire and be able to use basic tools to enable them to carry out quantitatively oriented tasks in their employment or their field of graduate studies.
- Students completing the program should possess the communication and economic skills desirable in their future employment or graduate studies.
Admission to an Economics major requires admission to the University.
The following requirements must be met for entry into an Economics major in the College of Business:
- Completion of 30 credits (If a student is a transfer student, credits must be transferable)
- Must be in good academic standing
- At least a 2.25 collegiate GPA
- Completion of ENG 101 and ENG 102 with a C- or higher, or equivalent
Students seeking entry to the College without these requirements may be granted pre-major standing.
International students whose native language is not English must meet one of the following English proficiency requirements:
A score of 71 or above on the Internet-based TOEFL or 525 or above on the paper-based TOEFL (195 for computer based, 71 for internet based), OR
A score of 6.0 or above on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam, OR
A 3.0 (B grade) or above in each two college-level English composition courses from an accredited United States college or university. Contact the Office of Admissions to find out what courses are acceptable.
Students who have met all of the above requirements will be admitted unless the number of applicants exceeds available space. In that case, acceptance will be competitive. If a student has struggled to meet the above requirements for admission, the College of Business reserves the right to confer conditional admission status for up to 2 quarters, and/or 30 credits, that she/he demonstrates the ability to successfully complete the major. Final admission to the College of Business is not guaranteed.
Economics Foundation Core Requirements
Select one of the following for 5 credits:
Economics Foundation Core Requirements Total Credits: 25
General Economics Specialization
This specialization is recommended for students desiring the traditional Economics major. Highly recommended supporting courses: MATH 172, MATH 173, and FIN 370.
There are no additional pre-admission courses required.