Farrell Hall, room 136
Karen Francis-McWhite, MA
Timothy Englund, PhD
Kristina Owens, secretary senior
Delayna Breckon, office assistant
The Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program at CWU is funded by a grant from the Department of Education under TRIO Programs. This is an academically rigorous program, not a scholarship. The program is designed to provide underrepresented (low-income and first-generation, and/or ethnic minority) students with the training and opportunity to prepare for and successfully apply to graduate school programs. To this end, admitted scholars are required to complete graduate school preparation seminars. The goal of the program is for scholars to attain their doctorates and teach at universities.
A cornerstone of this program is the linking of scholars with faculty mentors. Students are expected to complete a summer research fellowship under the supervision of a research mentor. Students are expected to complete a summer research internship under the supervision of a research mentor. Scholars also have the option of a teaching internship during one academic quarter and/or pursuing a leadership development track during their second year as a McNair Scholar.
CWU students are encouraged to apply to the McNair Scholars Program as sophomores or juniors and are selected on the basis of their academic excellence, career objectives and faculty recommendations.
(1) Meet the following eligibility
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident;
- Must be a low-income student who is also a first-generation college student; or must be a member of a group that is underrepresented in graduate education (African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Hispanic/Latino, or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander);
- Must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate in a degree program at CWU
- Must have completed 90 quarter credits by the time you begin the McNair Scholars Program
- Must have at least one year remaining before graduation
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.9; and a major GPA of at least 3.1, for the McNair Scholars Program
- Must express a desire to attain a PhD
(2) Complete an application, complete with form, two letters of recommendation and a personal statement. Application materials and deadlines are available on the program website.