Dr. Dorothy Chase
Dr. Kenneth Cohen
Dr. Barbara Basberg
The recreation and tourism program (RT) prepares students for professional positions in a wide variety of government, private, commercial, not-for-profit and other parks, recreation, and tourism organizations. Students complete a series of core courses and then choose a specialization in either tourism management or recreation management.
- Students must successfully complete RT 201, ENG 101, and ENG 102 or equivalent prior to being admitted to the major.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 for full admission.
- CWU requires a minimum 2.25 GPA in the major in order to graduate.
- The elective area will include at least 10 credits of RT prefix courses. Elective courses must be pre-approved by an advisor prior to registration for course(s).
- Students are required to complete six credits of RT 292 Practicum and 12 credits RT 490 Cooperative Education/ Internship. An additional 4 credits of RT 292 or 8 credits of RT 490 may be applied to the elective area with prior advisor approval.
The student with a speialization in tourism management may choose a career in travel and tourism related industries including hotels, resorts, convention centers, cruiselines, airlines, visitor centers, casinos, tour companies, meeting planning among others.