Sep 19, 2019
FR 201 - Appreciation of French Cuisine
Appreciation of French cuisine through the aesthetic theories of French gastronomy, in-class tastings, and consideration of French culture, history, and dietary habits. Taught in English. Course will not have an established scheduling pattern.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Describe and evaluate the qualities of French cuisine accurately using the appropriate aesthetic and cultural terminology
- Identify techniques used in French cuisine and explain the value of these techniques in achieving an aesthetically elevated product
- Relate French cuisine to French culture and history and to evolving French aesthetic norms and traditions from the 19th century to the present
- Distinguish and explain the differences among divergent views and approaches to French cuisine in terms of regional, social class, and religious (among other) differences
- Apply aesthetic judgement and critical thinking by tasting and using appropriate vocabulary to evaluate/describe flavor profiles, textures, cooking techniques, etc.
- Identify and critically assess connections between dietary habits, cultural norms governing food and drink, and individual and societal health
- Identify and evaluate ways in which the relationship between personal, social, professional, and economic well-being is tied to (and expressed by) dietary habits and cultural norms governing food and drink
[Add to Portfolio]