Aug 25, 2019
COM 303 - Online and Social Media Strategies
Students will learn how to create online websites and use social media to develop their “brand” online. They will use that “brand” to engage with appropriate audiences and create visibility for their work, skills or clients. Course will be offered every year (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer).
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Create and design a functional website using a popular free and open-source platform, picking a domain name and layout appropriate to the student’s chosen “brand” identity.
- Populate the website with content appropriate to the site’s brand identity (blog posts, examples of professional work, infographics, slideshows of photographs, audio clips, short video productions, etc.) using appropriate plugins and widgets.
- Identify the strengths, weaknesses and suitability of the most popular social media sites and how to leverage those platforms to enhance their site’s brand identity.
- Use social-media management tools.
- Use web analytics applications and the analytics tools provided by their chosen social media outlets in order to assess their website and social media accounts’ performance.
- Explain the importance of credibility and accuracy in building a brand and developing a loyal audience.
- Identify and describe the societal issues raised by online and social media, such as privacy, defamation, cyberbullying and online identity.
[Add to Portfolio]