Nov 12, 2019
AVM 420 - Aviation Labor Relations
Overview of aviation industries and development of US labor law and policy, including statutory, regulatory, and case laws in airline and corporate aviation. Principles, practices and procedures in collective bargaining and dispute resolution; and the changing airline labor relations environment.
Prerequisite: AVM 330.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history of aviation between 1900 and 1930s:
- The Railway Labor Act of 1926
- The role and scope of the economics in with the onset of aviation.
- Aviation and the role of pilots during these early years
- The role of the post office and private contractors with respect to the development of safety standards for pilots and passengers
- The creation of the ALPA
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history of direct government regulation of the airline industry7 between 1938 and 1978
- Civil Aeronautics Act of 1938
- The problems and issues with government regulation.
- Labor relations in the early years
- Government policy and concerns regarding the airline industry
- Compare and contrast the paradigm shift that after government deregulation
- Airline Deregulation Act of 1978
- Dilemmas which included bankruptcy of major airlines
- ALPA and the Braniff financial downfall
- Delta business model
- The post deregulation corporate and the fall of traditional labor/relations
- List the reasons and outcomes relating to the Continental Strike
- The ALPA during the Reagan Administration
- ALPA and The Lorenzo Wars-
- The Bildisco Decision
- Compare the various labor relations involving labor strikes
- The United strike of 1985
- Government and anti-labor movement
- The Election of 1986 and Political mergers
- The Eastern Airlines strike
- Analyze the various modern issues in labor relations
- Modern day labor disputes and lawsuits.
- International disputes and resolution
- Airline safety issues as they relate to labor disputes
- Negative impacts to pilots and their careers
[Add to Portfolio]