Mar 20, 2019
FR 353 - French Civilization III: Contemporary France
An overview of contemporary French culture through readings and viewings of French media with emphasis on topics such as immigration, religion, globalization, and politics of the family.
Prerequisite: FR 253.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Outline the basic lineaments of social issues unique to contemporary French society such as immigration, religion, globalization, and politics of the family.
- Identify and characterize major French media (including newspapers, television shows, social media outlets, and magazines) in regards to their treatment of contemporary social issues.
- Acquire a basic level of socio-linguistic awareness concerning the French spoken by minority and youth communities in France today.
- Read French newspapers and other contemporary print and online media written in French and summarize these works in appropriate written French.
- Identify the main points and/or summarize the basic argument of authentic video recordings in French in appropriate written French.
- Use spoken French to describe and evaluate a limited selection of cultural artifacts within their historical context in an organized and comprehensible manner to their peers.
[Add to Portfolio]