Jun 20, 2019
FR 361 - Cultures of the French Caribbean
A survey of the history and cultures of the French Caribbean from the colonial era to the present.
Prerequisite: FR 253.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Describe the broad historical development of French Caribbean culture from the colonial era to the present.
- Identify major movements and important people in the literature, plastic arts, and music of French Caribbean culture.
- Identify linguistic and dialectal particularities of French Caribbean culture in broad terms.
- Read French historical and anthropological treatments of the French Caribbean, and literary works from the region written in French, and summarize these works in appropriate written French.
- Identify the main points and/or summarize the basic argument of authentic video recordings in French in appropriate written French.
- Use spoken French to describe and evaluate a limited selection of cultural artifacts from the French Caribbean within their historical and cultural context in an organized and comprehensible manner to their peers.
[Add to Portfolio]